Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kutra Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2013, 11:26 AM
    Sparks from the heating coil element on the electric stovetop.
    Hi:

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum so please excuse me.

I replaced the burner infinite switch (from Sears) on my Kenmore electric stovetop two months ago since turning it on was not heating the coil (the red power light would not come on). But after that, everything was working fine. We have been cooking on that heating coil element since then, but yesterday while my wife was cooking using a non-stick pan, suddenly sparks started coming out of the heating coil element. My wife quickly turned off the burner switch and the sparks stopped.

When I inspected the hetaing coil element, I could see severe damage and there was melted metal on the floor where the sparks touched the floor. Even the bottom of the non-stick pan was damaged. I removed the heating coil element and haven't used it. Two things to note:

1. The burner socket for that particular heating coil element was replaced by the earlier seller. I know that because I can see the new socket connected to the old wires using connectors.
    2. The other three heating coil elements work fine which is what we are using for our cooking.

Please tell me what's going on. Did I wire the infinte switch incorrectly, but then why am I seeing the problem after two months? Is the entire electric stovetop unsafe for use?

Thanks,
    K
    wallykap Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2013, 12:18 PM
    You did right by turning off and later removing element. That element, and probably socket, need to replaced, but not before you check on connections backwards to ensure previous owner failed to make secure connection on that wiring. It appears the connection was faulty or element just failed and time to replace that element.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 4, 2013, 01:33 PM
    Hi:

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum so please excuse me.

I replaced the burner infinite switch (from Sears) on my Kenmore electric stovetop two months ago since turning it on was not heating the coil (the red power light would not come on). But after that, everything was working fine. We have been cooking on that heating coil element since then, but yesterday while my wife was cooking using a non-stick pan, suddenly sparks started coming out of the heating coil element. My wife quickly turned off the burner switch and the sparks stopped.

When I inspected the hetaing coil element, I could see severe damage and there was melted metal on the floor where the sparks touched the floor. Even the bottom of the non-stick pan was damaged. I removed the heating coil element and haven't used it. Two things to note:

1. The burner socket for that particular heating coil element was replaced by the earlier seller. I know that because I can see the new socket connected to the old wires using connectors.
    2. The other three heating coil elements work fine which is what we are using for our cooking.

Please tell me what's going on. Did I wire the infinte switch incorrectly, but then why am I seeing the problem after two months? Is the entire electric stovetop unsafe for use?

Thanks,
    K

I agree with the previous posted completely. The most important thing on electric stoves is the wire connections. Many times not only do the copper wires get stiff/brittle and or the high temperature insulation that is used as a jacket over that wire starts to fall apart. I always carried extra high temperature wires and some good quality connection ends so as to make a long lasting repair. I would replace both the heat element and the wiring block since they are cheap and I am sure you only want to visit this repair one more time so make this repair perfect. NOTE: while you are getting some supplies try to find some porcelain wire nuts of the size that will allow you to splice the burner wires you can use good old idea or other brands but they are plastic and not as good as the other.

The red indicator light is usually plugged into one of the infinite electric control tabs so see if you can find it or just look on one of the other controls as to where it goes since that part should all be the same.

The reason the burner shorted out is because of all the wear on the top of the burner form moving the pot or skillets around. This makes the encapsulate metal around the burner wear thin on the top and allows the burner to short through the pot or skillet causing damage to both items. Good luck on your project.

Mar 6, 2013, 08:59 AM
    Thank you very much for the replies. I will defintely replace the burner and the socket.

Mar 9, 2013, 11:17 AM
    Hi!

Update! I tried replacing the burner socket and the heating element, but no luck! I went to HD and bought the following for my Sears/Kenmore electric stovetop:

I followed the directions in this YouTube video: Range/Stove/Oven Repair- Replacing the Surface Burner Receptacle (Whirlpool Part # 12001676) - YouTube. I wasn't able to get porcelain wire connectors so I am using the plastic ones that came with the burner socket.

When I turn on the burner switch, the red light comes on but the heating element just does not get hot. My other 8-inch element had stopped working years ago and I never bothered to fix it, so I tried to fix that as well by replacing the burner socket and used the old heating element. Same results: the red light comes on, but the heating element doesn't heat at all! What am I doing wrong? The wires of the previous burner sockets that the previous owner had replaced were soldered as opposed to me using wire connectors for the socket that I am replacing. Other than that, I would expect this to be a simple job!

Now I only have the two 6-inch ones working. Any help before my wife talks me into calling a technician? :-)

Thanks,
    K
    wallykap Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2013, 09:51 AM
    try this video= Stove and Oven Help : How to Repair an Electric Coil Cooktop - YouTube

you either have a bad connection or improperly wired stove from previous owner... compare circuits that work with bad... there has to be something that is NOT connected correctly

walt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating element Kenmore 70 series electric dryer [ 6 Answers ]

When I start the dryer the heating element gets hot for about 5 seconds then blows a fuse. The dryer will still cycle, but never get hot again. I replaced the fuses and no luck. When I took the plate off I can see that it is getting hot. There are 5 coils and it appears that the top 3 coils are...

Electric oven heating element doesn't heat up [ 0 Answers ]

The background: recently purchased house with a duel-fuel (gas range, electric oven) stove. Did some renovation work including brand new main (100amp) and secondary (60amp) electrical panels. Electric oven has not worked since we moved in (ie after reno work). Previous owners swear that it worked...

Nordyne Electric Furnace Heating Element [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have A Nordyne Electric Furnace- model# E2EH-012HA, and the heating element stays hot Even with thermostat in the off position, and, of course, the blower runs also with the element remaining hot. I have to turn the breaker off to stop the element from heating. Any help would be...

Heating element for a older Kemore electric dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Our Kemore Dryer stopped working today, the drum is spinning but it is not heating up. I believe it is the heating element. Can some point me in the direction of where it might be located at. Thanks, Scott

Electric Furnace - heating element [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to convert from my broken boiler furnace to an electric furnace. I have central air and all the vents from that. Can I just buy a heating element and put it into the air handler? If I can, how do I know what size heating element to buy? The search on the internet gave 10 and 15 KW...

View more questions Search