Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgooch1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2013, 08:15 AM
    3 wire Thermostate install. White black red
    We purchased a older home with boiler heat. There old thermostat was not connected. There are 3 wires: white, red and black. I purchased a Honeywell RTH2300 model and connected the wires to Black - B, white - W, Red - R. The Booiler stays on and the room is now 81 despite have the thermostat set at 65 HOLD. The oly way to control the heat is to switch off the heat switch on the thermostat. My guess is the back wire must go into one of the other colored Jumpers or does the black wire not get used?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2013, 10:54 AM
    Go to the other end, at the boiler, what is the black wire connected to?

Mar 4, 2013, 11:56 AM
    I will check tonight when I'm home. I really appreciate the help.

Mar 5, 2013, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tgooch1 View Post
    I will check tonight when I'm home. I really appreciate the help.
    I disconnected the black wire and all seems to work! I could not see the black wire connecting at the boiler.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Good deal, I was wondering what the black wire was used for, its maybe grounded somewhere,, its good it didn`t fry your tstat

Mar 5, 2013, 01:40 PM
    Well I spoke too soon. I just found out the temp is down to 51 degrees (outside temp is 28). Theromstat is set to hold at 65. Thermostat says heat is on but nothing is happening. The black wire must go to a valve or something. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 Black Wire, 2 White, 1 Red [ 17 Answers ]

I took down an old ceiling fan and am replacing it with a simple light. The light has 2 blacks, 2 whites and a ground. The ceiling has 5 wires: A black and a white coming from one side. PLUS, a black, a red, and a white from the other direction. The wall switch has a red on the bottom and...

How to wire a light fixture with a switch with one red one black and one white wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a red and black wire from the switch and a red black and white wire in the outlet box and a black and white on light fixture how to wire

How to connect 3 wire black white bare to 4 wire black red white green [ 3 Answers ]

Fits 220 volt the wires are described in the title. Can someone tell me the proper way to connect them?

Black wire red wire and white wire spliced to 10/3 on a 220 circuit [ 25 Answers ]

I have installed a disconnect between my dryer receptable and a tanning bed. I want to splice the 10/3 box wire to the existing 220 wiring at the dryer. Dryer= red, black, white and bare ground wires 10/3 wire= black, white, and bare ground How do I splice these to allow the disconnect box to...

I have black red White wire in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I have black red and white wires in the ceiling and blue black white and green on the fan which do I hook up to which?

View more questions Search