Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MUSTANGER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2013, 12:16 PM
    Home Electrical Wiring
    I have a circuit in my basement which is out. I have tracked the problem down to one receptacle which has no power. Checked the neutral and ground are OK, hot has no power. All of the breakers appear OK. I am unable to track back to initial source for this circuit outside of the panel (I.E. another receptacle). Any advice or ideas?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 01:17 PM
    Why are you unable to track back? That is exactly where you need to look.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2013, 01:49 PM
    Check other outlets in basement. You will have to open them to see if a wire is broken or disconnected.

Start with outlet closest to outlet not working.

Chuck
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2013, 11:53 PM
    A similar problem in my case turned out to be a tripped GFCI outlet that was hidden above a suspended ceiling. It took a lot of tracing to finally locate that problem but I had another clue- my outside outlets weren't working either. Are you certain that you have no other dead outlets?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2013, 05:59 AM
    It may be a switched outlet.
    Could be a bad connection at the one of the closest outlets/switch boxes, That outlet/switch box may be live, but not hot going out.
    Since you have a good neutral, it is not a GFI Problem as GFI's remove both the Hot And Neutral when tripped.
    Is this Romex, or wiring in Conduits?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical wiring diagram of home air cooler [ 1 Answers ]

Electrical wiring diagram of home air coolerler

Oakwood mobile home electrical wiring schematics? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 1997 Oakwood Double Wide Mobile home that we have lost power to 1/2 of living area, all of master bedroom and all of master bathroom. Have checked all breakers and replaced the one that kept tripping that controls the rooms with no power, but when we reconnect power to the breaker is...

New vs Old Electrical Wiring in a home.. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm helping a friend with his house and have a few things I don't fully understand... In his old home, most of the electrical wiring was updated in the late 90's. - Most of the basement and attic wiring is all run through metal conduit, is this necessary? - Is Romex 12-2 a good basic wire...

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching [ 6 Answers ]

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching? Then fire?

Help in home electrical wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wiring a air conditioner, TV, computer. Dsl modem, plus 2 lights/lamps (50watts) on a separate line.. from the electric meter. I need help installing it, what kind of wires(gauge) are needed Can the air conditoner be on the same line as the other appliances? Our voltage in our country...

View more questions Search