Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2013, 09:27 AM
    Windows XP Home Edition
    I have a computer that I have lost the start-up and operating disk.
    I have the product key on the bottom of the computer, how can I get a set of disk so I can reload Windows XP. A virus took my program and made it useless. I also cannot get on line with it.
    rodzillaj3 Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

Mar 4, 2013, 07:44 AM
    Depending on who you bought the computer from, did you receive a windows disc or did it just come preloaded? If it came preloaded, the computer's hard drive may have a partition setup that contains the Windows setup. When your computer starts up, hit F8 for system recovery. It is possible, depending on manufacturer, to load that partition from system recovery.

Mar 4, 2013, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rodzillaj3 View Post
    Depending on who you bought the computer from, did you receive a windows disc or did it just come preloaded? If it came preloaded, the computer's hard drive may have a partition setup that contains the Windows setup. When your computer starts up, hit F8 for system recovery. It is possible, depending on manufacturer, to load that partition from system recovery.
    It came preloaded

Mar 4, 2013, 09:02 AM
    Try accessing it through system recover, F8, during startup. Each manufacturer has different ways to run the recovery partition. For example, Lenovo sometimes has a button you push instead of the power button to run it while the computer is off.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2013, 09:03 AM
    In these cases you can borrow an XP disk from another person or even torrent one. Since you have a valid Windows key it's not a gray area.

Mar 4, 2013, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    In these cases you can borrow an XP disk from another person or even torrent one. Since you have a valid Windows key it's not a gray area.
    That would load windows but you may have an issue with the drivers not working. I've seen a couple times were Windows gets installed but the drivers that are needed and imbedded in the recovery drive don't get installed. Happened to me once. I got Windows reinstalled but couldn't get on HP's website to download drivers, both wireless and wired, due to no driver so I basically had nothing.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2013, 09:11 AM
    That's right, you always need to track down the current drivers for your system after a reload of the OS.
    Always good to have a second system (laptop on wireless for example) to get the drivers and transfer them to USB for loading on the new system.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 7, 2013, 07:23 AM
    Actually you should get drivers for the model of your PC BEFORE you reinstall from a disk. Especially networking drivers so you can access the internet after the reinstall. If you have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive, it will have the original drivers that came with the PC when you bought it but you can also get updated drivers from the manufacturer after the recovery to factory installation. You will lose all your data and end up just as it came new. Usually there will be a short screen at start up that shows options for entering setup, bios (typically the DEL key), and recovery and what keys to press. You can also get help in how to recover from the manufacturers website through their faq's knowledge base or even tech help e-mail. Since your posting here, you have access to the net somehow, so you might want to first try downloading a boot recovery iso (many are free like UBCD) and see if you can't clear the virus with that (boot to cd first must be set in the bios). If you can at least get access to the drive you can save some of your data before you reinstall. Its unlikely that you can repair the drive and remove the virus completely without expert help. Viruses tend to replace system files to prevent removal, and once removed there goes that system file and things can get wonky. Most XP disks have a second repair option that will replace all your system files from the ones on the disk, leaving your data intact, but it doesn't remove viruses unless they're mimicking system files. When you boot from an XP Home CD it shows a repair option but that one will actually reinstall and you lose your data. But if you continue as if your going to reinstall, a second option will show up around the F8 accept license screen, that's the non-destructive repair. If it doesn't show up you can always hit F3 to quit. Google "the Langa letters" for more info on non-destructive repair.

Mar 8, 2013, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    Actually you should get drivers for the model of your PC BEFORE you reinstall from a disk. Especially networking drivers so you can access the internet after the reinstall. If you have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive, it will have the original drivers that came with the PC when you bought it but you can also get updated drivers from the manufacturer after the recovery to factory installation. You will lose all your data and end up just as it came new. Usually there will be a short screen at start up that shows options for entering setup, bios (typically the DEL key), and recovery and what keys to press. You can also get help in how to recover from the manufacturers website through their faq's knowledge base or even tech help e-mail. Since your posting here, you have access to the net somehow, so you might want to first try downloading a boot recovery iso (many are free like UBCD) and see if you can't clear the virus with that (boot to cd first must be set in the bios). If you can at least get access to the drive you can save some of your data before you reinstall. Its unlikely that you can repair the drive and remove the virus completely without expert help. Viruses tend to replace system files to prevent removal, and once removed there goes that system file and things can get wonky. Most XP disks have a second repair option that will replace all your system files from the ones on the disk, leaving your data intact, but it doesn't remove viruses unless they're mimicking system files. When you boot from an XP Home CD it shows a repair option but that one will actually reinstall and you lose your data. But if you continue as if your going to reinstall, a second option will show up around the F8 accept license screen, that's the non-destructive repair. If it doesn't show up you can always hit F3 to quit. Google "the Langa letters" for more info on non-destructive repair.
    Hi, I ask and received the disk from Dell and I was very pleased BUT when I downloaded the disc It came up with a "GUEST PASSword required". I've never had a guest password so what the heck is this problem about??
    I do want to think everyone that is trying to help me but I must be so computer stupid nothing helps.

Mar 8, 2013, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by igottogonow View Post
    Hi, I ask and received the disk from Dell and I was very pleased BUT when I downloaded the disc It came up with a "GUEST PASSword required". I've never had a guest password so what the heck is this problem about????
    I do want to think everyone that is trying to help me but I must be so computer stupid nothing helps.
    The disc is asking for a password?

Mar 9, 2013, 05:09 AM
    Yes it's asking for a guest password.

Mar 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
    Yes I couldn't believe it when it said "what is the guest password". So here I am.

Mar 12, 2013, 03:47 AM
    YES, It's asking for a guest password.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows vista laptop home edition [ 1 Answers ]

I downloaded the service pack 3 when I restarted comp it was installing it got to 3 of 3 0% complete & stuck there tried ctrl alt del all restart general troubleshooting but nuthing works it is froze

IE 8 in Windows 7 Home Premium Edition [ 2 Answers ]

Crashes and stays in a crash loop, and the only way out of it is to reboot the computer.

How to activate windows xp home edition [ 2 Answers ]

How to activate windows xp home edition after reinstalltion

Windows XP Home Edition [ 28 Answers ]

How do I unistall Windows from my computer? Please can you help?

Windows xp home edition [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I found out you can't install friend's xp! Bought new one and installed. (Installed fresh, not repair). NOW, not all of the time, but about half the time or a little more, it won't load up right and keeps re-starting and then I have to put it in safe mode and restore it to a previous day to...

View more questions Search