Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Which bits? Auger, carbide or spur-point?
    Have been doing the research but really I'm getting more confused:

I am dealing with the following project/prospects:(A) Drilling into really hard wood (South American 'Greenheart' and Purple Heart'). Tried using ordinary twist bits which I was assured would be adequate and the lumber simply ignored the bits! Just succeeded in dull bits.
    (B) Drilling into concrete block and,'cast' concrete (conventional mixture of stone,sand and cement). I understand that I need carbide bits in this case.

My question is, should I simply invest in all carbide bits and would they be appropriate for hard-wood drilling?
    Moreover, one article claimed that wood augers exert a pulling action on the drill and therefore are not suitable for hand-held power drills.

Whatever is the correct type for each application, I'm looking for 3mm to 10mm @ 12"plus.
    Using a Makita 3/8th.

Thank you for your kind assistance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Augers should be done only with a bit and brace (handheld twist) A masonery bit (not just carbide) will not drill hard woods very well. They drill concrete by chipping little bits at a time and shatter the masonary. A high quality twist bit will cut Purple Heart but you must use a slow RPM, high speed will heat the bit and cause it to turn blue, loss its temper.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Hello

I really like 2 fluted step bit... Works on metal,great on wood!!

IRWIN Unibit by IRWIN Industrial Tools

May have masonry bit, or use Milwaukee hammer drill, with water flush and ease drilling

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tapered drill bits [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, How do I sharpen a tapered drill bit. Thanks, Randy

Bits and Pieces on this Song, Please Help If You Can! [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering who the artist is and the name of the song of these lyrics. I remember hearing the song but its been so long ago, so here goes. Its from the 80s. And I only have few words to go by on this. Hope it helps. "I need to know tonight. Can't Fight This Feeling, Can't Fight This...

My life is in bits... [ 228 Answers ]

OK so Pete split up with me on Sunday, says he does not love me anymore. There was no warning signs and everything was fine until Saturday evening. I went away for the night on a hen do. I phoned him that night and he could not get me off the phone quick enough. I did not hear from him all...

Commercial sewer auger [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know how difficult it is to use a (rental) commercial sewer auger to clear a pipe that runs from the house (actually, from a clean-out installed when this was done several years ago by a professional "rotorooter") to the septic tank (which was pumped three weeks ago). I have had...

View more questions Search