Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SpringKid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Summons Not Served; lived in another City
    The court says I failed to appear in court for a summons that was apparently served on me at an old address; I lived in another city at the time it was served.
    I never received the summons and eventually a warrant was issued for my arrest a few years later after they found out I no longer lived in that City. I was never sent a summons where I was living at the time, but I was arrested for Contempt in the City I resided, and driven back by Sheriff's to the city where the failure to appear was. I did see my old address on the papers the Sheriff had when he picked me up.

After going to court, set up payment arrangements, I eventually filing bankruptcy, the case was squashed. My problem is this is still haunting me because I work in banking my fingerprints come back as being arrested.

How can I fix this? The court documents says there is an Affidavit of Service; which I never received because I lived in another city, and at Court they would not let me explain that I was never served or had I ever seen the summons.

I applied for a government position and this has come up again... I need help in resolving this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2013, 03:29 PM
    If the issue was included in the bankruptcy, then it should be listed as resolved.

Mar 2, 2013, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If the issue was included in the bankruptcy, then it should be listed as resolved.
    Yes it was, but the arrest keeps showing up. Had I been served I never would have been arrested.

Mar 2, 2013, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I does say squashed on the court dockets. Thanks
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Mar 2, 2013, 04:31 PM
    You need to check with a lawyer and see if you can get this incident expunged. Expunged means legally GONE.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringKid View Post
    I does say squashed on the court dockets. Thanks
    I'd be willing to bet that it actually says "quashed".

Either that or the judge doesn't know how to spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcsap9213 View Post
    You need to check with a lawyer and see if you can get this incident expunged. Expunged means legally GONE.
    Unlikely that this can be done. The fact is that OP was arrested, but not found to be in contempt because OP didn't violate the criminal laws. The best course of action would be to explain this to the potential employer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons served to the next [ 4 Answers ]

I was served a summons and it was delivered to my next door of which my sister found them reading my summons. Is it OK if the sheriff delivers my summons to my next door?

Being served with a summons [ 4 Answers ]

I am in constant phone contact with a collection company who supposedly bought a charged off debt I had in 2007. I received a business card taped to by door stating that a process server had a summons for me. How long do I have before I have to accept this summons? I have corresponded with the...

Summons served [ 4 Answers ]

I was served a summons to answer about a credit card debt, I was never given the opportunity to have the debt validated, if I answer the summons can I still request the collection agency validate the debt after I answer the summons?

Served with Summons [ 3 Answers ]

I was served a summons from a lawyer. It has to do with collections of a credit card debt when I was laid off work 5 years ago. I have not paid on this in 5 years. The summons does not have a court date. It just says I must reply. Is there a certain way to respond to a summons? Do I need a lawyer...

Being served a summons [ 1 Answers ]

Can I be served a summons when I am in another country?

View more questions Search