Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbscout Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2013, 03:21 PM
    Check in mail now they want it back
    I paid a medical copay for emergency services for my daughter. I received a $216 refund check back. 2 Months later they realized another error and are requesting a $201 payback.Am I Legally obligated or just even Morally to return what they ask?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2013, 03:33 PM
    If they can prove you owe the money you are legally obligated to pay.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 2, 2013, 04:05 PM
    Ethically, I would wait two months before paying them back. Unless you were aware all along that you were over-refunded.
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Mar 2, 2013, 04:20 PM
    If Sears showed up at your house with a 72 inch TV that you didn't order , lucky you. If they realize they sent it to the wrong house and you say " finders keepers". You would be threatened with Theft of property lost , found or delivered by mistake.

If you find a wallet , you can't keep it.

If you get a check for twenty grand in the mail that was a mistake , you must return it ( if they demand ) Morally you should do so anyway.

I ordered a Dell PC a number of years ago. Included was a $100 rebate. I sent the rebate in after getting the of and than found out that they put the wrong sized hard drive in. I called them and returned it and they sent me a new one.

I asked what to do about the rebate and they said they would cancel it. I got the 2 and PC and sent the rebate in. About a month later I got two $100 rebate checks. I called Dell and after about 15 minutes on the phone , was told to just keep it. I called back later in the evening and repeated the process to make sure that I got a second and identical reply.

I did and I kept both with a clear conscience and clarity knowing that I did not break the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I get a refund check in the mail ? [ 1 Answers ]

When I filed my taxes electronically it says that they will deposit my check in my checking account but something happened it didn't let me enter my account number. So I wonder if there's no checking account number there will they send me a check by mail

Received a check in the mail for sweepstakes [ 6 Answers ]

We received a check for $2962.00 from APSCO Sports Enterprises drawn on JP Morgan Bank, N.A. in New York. This seems to be real check with watermarks on the back and came with a letter stating we had won $50,000 and this check was to pay the taxes. Is it legal to cash this check? Has anyone...

Received a Check in the Mail for Sweepstakes? [ 6 Answers ]

We just received a $2,900.00 check from First Citizens Bank (cashiers check). I know the Lotto is a scam, but is this check real? It has watermarks and all other security features. Is it legal to cash this check?

Spell Check in e mail [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fairly new Dell computer. I am running Outlook Express. I have Word Perfect and Microsft Word in my system yet I cannot get the "Spell Check" to work in my e mail (it will not highlite). Any ideas? Thanks!

View more questions Search