Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2004, 04:09 AM
    Barefoot school pe
    Hi are there parents think that it is better for children to take off socks and shoes for physical education in school.
    Tankman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2004, 09:36 PM
    Re: barefoot school pe
    Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but we never did that in school and this is the first time I ever heard that it was being requested of the children or required. I guess much needs to be knowned about the conditions of the class. If children are going to be running around on a dirty floor where germs are present, they might get an infection if any small opening in the skin of the foot is present. Also, socks and shoes I thought are suppose to protect our feet from potential hazards. Skin is only so strong and can be lacerated or sheared. I don't think I would ever watch our basketball players play even on a sterile court barefooted. Maybe in some third world countries it is acceptable, but in the United States? I think it also can be a legal question you can talk to the school board about. What if a child gets an infection to his toe's or foot, are they willing to be liable. They must have an awesome janitor to be willing to trust all the children's feet to. All you need is one sliver of glass or metal with some nasty germ on it and there you go, nasty infection and who knows, loss of toe, loss of foot, loss of leg, death! For me, I would fight the school board about this issue, bring it up with the other parents,etc. For myself, I wouldn't let the school force my child to go to physical education barefooted. See if you can get a medical Doctor write a note demanding your child not be barefooted for physical education. Something just seems wrong with this school in my humble opinion. I think if you want them to change this, schools will usually listen to a majority of parents if enough is complained about this issue or if you can get them afraid of the potential legal issues they might be getting into if something does happen. If you can get the medical establisment involved and stating this is not a medically safe thing to do with all the kids.
    dave5150 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Dec 29, 2004, 03:53 PM
    Barefeet
    Going barefoot in an unsanitary area is a bad idea, it can cause painful plantar warts on the sole of the feet that need medical attention. I would consult with the teacher's supervisor if necessary.
    my_voice Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Well I am from England and when I was at school we had to go barefoot in gym, dance and various other indoor P.E. activities and we couldn't argue. When we were in Junior school from the age of 7-11yrs old we had to go barefoot in all indoor activties and that included assembly. In infant school from the age of 5-7yrs old we had to always do p.e. in barefeet and assembly and during class in Infant school in the afternoon we had a book read to us on this mat in the corner and we had to take of our shoes and socks for that to. It also taught us in Infant school how to put socks on correctly and tie up shoe laces.

To be honest I hated it. We also had to wear school uniform and in the infant school in the summer boys had to wear shorts and a white polo neck and a blue jumper or the school jumper, same In junior school but we didn't have to wear shorts only if we felt like it and same I seniors but there we had to wear all black apart from p.e.:(

Also as punishment if in infant and juniors we kicked somebody we had to go barefoot for the day in the class rooms and the dinning room, everywhere for punishment
    jonabill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 11:10 AM
    I think its good idea if it is not in an area which is used for things other than pe.
    dawnperry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by my_voice
    well I am from England and when I was at school we had to go barefoot in gym, dance and various other indoor P.E. activites and we couldnt argue. when we was in Junior school from the age of 7-11yrs old we had to go barefoot in all indoor activties and that included assembly.
    Yes, that is indeed true. When we moved to England, the first thing my 9yo found out in school was she had to remove her shoes and socks at the start of each day. They were allowed to wear them at recess and when P.E. was outdoors. My daughter used to complain the bottoms of her feet would get dirty. I asked her "Doesn't the feet of the other children also get dirty?". She said, "yes". I told her not to worry about her feet getting dirty.

One benefit, it does help strengthen/toughen the feet. My daughter started gymnastics when she was 10. Because of her going barefoot at school, it was easier for her in gymnastics where barefeet were necessary. As a matter of fact, she would go to her gymnastics class, barefoot, right from the car. The parking lot never seemed to bother her feet. The only problem with this is if I planned to do grocery shopping and forgot to bring her shoes with us. Of course, seeing a 10yo barefoot in a navy blue leotard following me around the store was probably obvious she had just come from her gymnastics class and no one ever said anything about it.

I guess she learned to accept her feet getting dirty after all.

Dawn
    dawnperry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by theo
    Hi are there parents think that it is better for children to take off socks and shoes for physical education in school.
    Yes, I think it is a good idea.
    my_voice Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 07:24 AM
    theo I do as long as its in doors and there is heating, I remember the stone and wood floors use to be freezing cold and standing there barefoot in just shorts and a t-shirt wasn't very nice.

Dawn a lot of what you said about taking shoes of at the start of the day was like that at my school. In the morning first thing was assembly so everyone was barefoot (because of the flooring) then you had to walk barefoot in a single file line back to your classrooms where your shoes were. The teachers would let you put your shoes and socks back on once when you was in the classroom but they also allowed you to keep them off. A lot of kids did in all years in junior school. On the playgrounds you had to put your shoes on then. Like I said before I hated it but when your 7 years old and your in a hot stuffy classroom it seems like a good idea as you had to wear shorts anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

After School Special? [ 3 Answers ]

There was a movie I remember watching in the 80's. It was about a boy with red hair and a frog that sang "That's amore!" The boy was kind of a science geek. I think the frog came to life at the end... Anybody?

Trade School [ 2 Answers ]

The media is full of advertisements for trade schools computers, motorcycle, etc. I have conducted extensive research and cannot find a clear conscience answer. Are the schools worth the money and expense? One of the motorcycle schools for example upon graduation offers an entire set of tools. ...

Do you keep HM after school is over? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone keeps their Homework/Class work after the school semester is over? I do but not all of it.

About School [ 2 Answers ]

I happened to be very aggressive most of the time in school I mean just by someone looking at me it seeems to me like I got to do somethng about it because its going to hurt me and this has gotten me to be very popular in school with students and staff I mean students like me cause I won't beat up...

I need to finish school, but don't want to end it. [ 4 Answers ]

I fell in love with a beautiful woman at my original school, but she moved away the next semester because she didn't fit in. We did the long distance relationship for nearly eight months (our total time going out is thirteen months). So, to show her how strong I felt about her and to try out a...

View more questions Search