Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kris12345 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2013, 03:32 PM
    Tin whistle
    I want to get a tin whistle ever since I listened to The Lord of the Rings theme song. I want to know what keys I should get, and I want to get 5 different ones. Please answer! Thanks!
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

Mar 3, 2013, 01:45 AM
    Here is what I learned... The D whistle is a common choice for Irish and Scottish music. There are low whistles, and soprano whistles. You should start with D, G and A scale whistles

A tin whistle is diatonic therefore the key signature of the song determines what key tin whistle to play. For example, if your song is in the key of C (no sharps or flats) then you get a C tin whistle. You can also use a C tin whistle to blow notes for the A minor scale, because the two scales, C major and A minor, use the same notes.

Wikipedia
    Whistletutor.com
    WhistleandDrum.com
    Clarktinwhistle.com

Mar 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
    Thanks!

Mar 3, 2013, 12:47 PM
    I play guitar. When I re-read my post I was worried that I got the theory of a tin whistle wrong, so real tin whistle players or musicians, chime in. However, I found another website that explains the theory well: Chiff & Fipple Deciphers Whistle Keys and confirms what I said.

Mar 3, 2013, 03:29 PM
    Ok, I learned more about the tin whistle. It turns out, I was close but not exactly right. A single tin whistle can easily play three different keys, and a fourth key can be achieved with the advanced technique of half-holing. (I might be wrong, but I think a C whistle can play an A minor pentatonic scale, but you would have to not play the B and the F note, to truly get a pentatonic scale.)

I also thought that you might start with a D, G, or A whistle. Well, it turns out that a D whistle can play the G scale, the A scale, and the E minor scale. So, it is not necessary to buy a G whistle, or an A whistle when you have a D whistle.

But seeing as how, apparently every key is available in a tin whistle, you might as well buy your tin whistle according to which key your song is written in. When you don't have a whistle in the key of a song, then the song has to be transposed for the whistle, which could be hard for the band, if the band has learned the song in a specific key. The other advantage is that you won't have to learn the new fingering that would be required if you had to play in a different key on the same whistle.

My recommendation now is... Look at the songs you want to learn. What is the key of the song, or what key does your band play in for the song? Play/buy the tin whistle that fits best to the key of the songs that you want to play.

This website explains the theory really well: Chiff & Fipple Deciphers Whistle Keys. (Sorry, if this is more theory than you wanted, but I felt compelled to correct myself.)

Mar 4, 2013, 06:40 PM
    Thanks again! I got the D and C whistle and the links were very helpful! I really appreciate your answers. Makes me feel special :D THANKS!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would cause a whistle in the pipes? [ 1 Answers ]

There is a whistle in the pipes.

Toilet Whistle [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet makes a kind of whistle sound through out the day. It is not a specific time or not necessarily happening when I flush. It can happen at any time. Even when we have not used it for hours. :confused:

DOG WHISTLE/ silent whistle / galtons whistle? [ 10 Answers ]

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew whether these whistles are good & work properly, I want to teach my dog a few more things & also when I take him off leash he listens to me (mostly) but responds better to high pitch whistles etc. ( I can't whistle lol ) I was wondering if this would be good for...

How to whistle [ 3 Answers ]

How on earth do you whistle with your fingers in your mouth??

View more questions Search