Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magdalmaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2013, 11:37 AM
    Infection behind upper molar tooth causing swelling left side of face. Dental or doct
    X-ray shows infection above upper molar tooth which is causing swelling of left side of face. Tooth does not hurt,since it already has had a root canal. Is this something a dentist can take care of or do I go to a regular doctor.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 11:38 AM
    I would see a dentist.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I would see a dentist.
    Not necessarily. OP needs an endodontist to diagnose the proper procedure. Root canals, if not done properly, develop fissures, or cracks in the molar submerged in bone. Infection will have to be drained, if any, but suspect this is the case.

Of course, diagnosis cannot be given on the Internet. This is just a general opinion.
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Mar 1, 2013, 04:10 PM
    I think if you call a dentist and recite your symptoms , they can tell you if this is something they can handle or refer you to an oral surgeon.

How did you manage to get an x-ray in the first place without a dentist ? If a dentist did the x-ray , you should already know the answer to your question.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 2, 2013, 06:43 AM
    I have never been able to 'call a dentist and recite symptoms' hoping to get a determination. That is just not possible even if you do manage to get past the receptionist. No dentist worth it will give this information over the phone. They don't make any money that way.

Why would a dentist diagnose over the phone without even seeing what the client is describing?
    honestwriter Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2013, 08:19 AM
    You probably have a 'Periapical Abscess' above the tooth that has been treated. This occurs at the end of the tooth's root and cause inflammation. Bacterial Involvement is Obvious.
    An Endodontist is A Dentist itself... I would suggest you to visit an endodontist or an oral surgeon. Nothing grave ! They will drain the abscess and put you on some anti biotics
    Please remember this 'diagnosis'is based on what I just read.. if I have a look at you and the x ray I could probably tell more.
    There are chances of your maxillary sinus being affected too.
    Consult a the above Dentists ASAP.
    Cheers
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2013, 08:27 AM
    A Dentist. A dentist can prescribe antibotics, and would, normally, be better than an MD doctor at determining what type of antibotics. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legs swelling & pain in left side [ 1 Answers ]

Legs are very swollen alsolots of pain in joints my skin on my legs are hot to touch and also skin has started to have places where liquid is seeping due to the swelling . Very low energy levels. I

Having pain on left side of chest and left side of upper back [ 0 Answers ]

Sharp pain hard to breath

Very painful upper left side sharp pains along with left shoulder pains. [ 3 Answers ]

Im a 20 year old woman with left side sharp pains. I recently just got put on the depo- shot (birth control) on this side of my body. But that's was 3 weeks before the pain started. I have been having my period for over 2 months now with only a 5 day brake I'm not too sure if this have anything too...

Piece of tool left in root canal causing infection [ 2 Answers ]

I had a root canal 3 months ago and the endodontis left a piece of tool that broke off in my root canal saying that it would be part of my filling. The tooth just recently had an infection and the oral surgeon began doing the root canal over again yesterday. He could not get the piece of tool...

Pressure on upper side of face [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I have had many setbacks since my root canal last week. First excruciating pain, which has subsided since I was put on an antibiotic three days later (Friday), although I am still unable to chew on the tooth because it is very sensitive and still somewhat painful , esp. when I floss, but...

View more questions Search