Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 05:06 AM
    Brake Job
    2003 Toyota Echo is running good. My son ask me when he should replace brake pads. Car has 72,500 miles. It had Semi Met Pads front only put on 2003, with
    43,977. So now it has 28,523 miles on them. Brakes seem good to me.
    Driving is very limited only to do chores. What do you think?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2013, 06:42 AM
    Under normal driving those pads shouldr be good for at least 75,000 miles. I just replaced my OEM pads on a CRV at 90,000. There should be a low pad warning sensor that gives a high pitch squeal that goes away when the pedal is applied.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 06:42 AM
    Driving just for chores can put more wear on brakes than long trips since the number of stops may be much higher. You should be able to see those pads just with a flashlight to see if they appear thin or not.
    I think that with 28,000 miles, at least a good inspection of those brakes is a good idea at this time.
    Here in PA, vehicle inspection is required once a year, and they are required to remove at least two wheels and inspect brakes.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 06:53 AM
    Okay thanks for the advice
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2013, 07:45 AM
    Check the wear indicators, using a good flashlight. I'd recommend that he have the brake fluid changed, if it has not been done in the last 3 years. This will remove moisture, corrosion, and crud from the system and help ensure long caliper and wheel cylinder life. Otherwise, when your son changes the pads/shoes next time, he may be in for a surprisingly large repair bill.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 08:37 AM
    Thanks for the advise. Front pads were done in 2007 $231.00 front pads only at Tire Plus.
    Shoes were never done

. Truck driver down the street said more of the pads do most of he work, the back shoes
    Do less in front wheel drive. He changed his truck pads after 75,000 miles
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2013, 08:47 AM
    He's right. Rear shoes tend to last a long time. Most Asian car manufacturers recommend changing the brake fluid every 2 years. I question whether semi-metallic pads are what Toyota calls for on that car. I would go with ceramic--they are less harsh on the rotors, stop better, run quieter, produce less dust, generate much less heat, and last longer.
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Mar 1, 2013, 09:23 AM
    City driving will wear pads out quicker than highway driving with the same mileage.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 09:27 AM
    Very Good information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brake job 3 months ago [ 1 Answers ]

Got a brake job 3 months ago. Now its doing the same thing I took it in there for. Help me out

Both rear brake lights out, but 3rd brake light works and bulbs are good. [ 10 Answers ]

Hello all! I have a 2005 Odyssey: The rear brake lights won't brighten when you hit the brakes, but the 3rd brake light works fine. The bulbs are good but I am not able to figure out which fuse it may be because the manual is unclear. Any ideas? Thanks Jay

Brake job fair price [ 4 Answers ]

I wonder what is a fair price is for a brake job. On a 2003 Toyota echo. Even just the front pads for material and labor. Hollywood, Florida. I was lucky this time pepboys charged me $183.00 for the front pads and rear shoes. I do not know, if they resurfaced the rotors or not. Thanks for...

Bad brake job [ 7 Answers ]

I am new to this site so any comments would be greatly appreciated. I took my old 96 Mustang to a dealer ship last Wednesday to have my back brakes fixed. I drive a stick shift car so these type of cars are notorious for rolling back on hills. I only instructed them to fix my back brakes not the...

Have Class B CDL (HAZ, AIr Brake,Tanker) Need Job but have Felony. [ 1 Answers ]

I have Straight Truck Experience and the endorsements listed in the title. I live in KCMO area. Anyone need a driver?

View more questions Search