Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Nehemiah 8:2. An Ezra the priest brought the law before the congregation both men and women and all that could hear with understanding.

This verse covers a Chief Priest who called the people ( a lot if them) together for instruction from God. ( the law). Note how the last sentence indicates only those that could hear with understanding were compelled to attend.
    That's not what it says. You need to read a little further, specifically to verse 8. Ezra and the others not only read it, but they translated it, probably into Aramaic, for those who didn't understand Hebrew. This included most everybody, because the call went out to both men and women and all who could understand. "Understand" in this context refers to the language, not the content, because the Torah was in Hebrew and most people weren't fluent in that language any more, having adopted Aramaic during the Exile. Both those who could understand Hebrew and those who couldn't were "compelled to attend"; verse 3 repeats the formula "men and women and those who could understand." That passage isn't going to be of any help in answering WG's question.
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Mar 1, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So Jeffrey Dahmer and Adam Lanza and Ted Bundy and Richard Speck will be in heaven.
    All of these guys lived into adulthood. All but Lanza held jobs ( of some sort) and worked as well as participated in society.

Having some form of mental illness does not mean they can't be held accountable for their actions. What they did took planning , work and then they either fled ( consciousness of guilt) or in Lanzas case , committed suicide when the police were entering the building.

God will be the final judge and already knows their mindset. I do not believe any of them would be able to claim insanity as their defense. Not in an earthly courtroom and most certainly not in a heavenly one.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Mar 1, 2013, 07:02 PM
    So Jeffrey Dahmer and Adam Lanza and Ted Bundy and Richard Speck will be in heaven.
    You're assuming demonic influence has less to do with it than mental illness? Those men knew what they were doing.
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Mar 1, 2013, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    That's not what it says. You need to read a little further, specifically to verse 8. Ezra and the others not only read it, but they translated it, probably into Aramaic, for those who didn't understand Hebrew. This included most everybody, because the call went out to both men and women and all who could understand. "Understand" in this context refers to the language, not the content, because the Torah was in Hebrew and most people weren't fluent in that language any more, having adopted Aramaic during the Exile. Both those who could understand Hebrew and those who couldn't were "compelled to attend"; verse 3 repeats the formula "men and women and those who could understand." That passage isn't going to be of any help in answering WG's question.
    While I can't disagree with what you said... understand certainly would have more than one meaning. Would a child who knew but a few words of either language have understood ? Nope.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    You're assuming demonic influence has less to do with it than mental illness? Those men knew what they were doing.
    Demonic influence? Check back with me in heaven about this.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 07:56 PM
    Dave,

So you don't believe there is going to be a great white throne judgement or do you believe it has already taken place?
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 07:58 PM
    While I can't disagree with what you said....understand certainly would have more than one meaning. Would a child who knew but a few words of either language have understood ? Nope.
    Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with the passage you cited. In that specific context, we know what "understand" meant, and no, it didn't have more than one meaning. There's no need. So I'm not sure what your point is.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 08:00 PM
    WG,

If hell is here and now, then why did Jesus have to die? I mean really? What is the point if he wasn't saving us from an eternity apart from God.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2013, 08:01 PM
    So you don't believe there is going to be a great white throne judgement or do you believe it has already taken place?
    A literal one? No, I don't. Again, that's not how Revelation was meant to be understood, and trying to make it literal does violence to it. Has it already taken place? I don't know. It depends on what it's a metaphor for. There are lots of ideas about that, and I don't know which (if any) is correct. Nor do I care. The end of the book says we win. That's good enough for me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    WG,

If hell is here and now, then why did Jesus have to die? I mean really? What is the point if he wasn't saving us from an eternity apart from God.
    He was saving us for an eternity WITH God.
    Curtis Wilson Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Mar 1, 2013, 08:11 PM
    Very good answers... God is Love for sure, and his will is that no one perishes, but all to come unto repentance. Yet, every day people are dying without Christ.
    Death is only a temporary thing, as the last enemy to be destroyed will be death. Death is going to be cast into the lake of fire along with all of Satans angels, and all those who reject the free gift of salvation. If death will be destroyed then what could possibly worse then death? There is something much worse, and that is knowing the truth, but not being able to experience the joy, and comfort it brings. Have you ever in your life knew something you knew was right to do, but you did not do it? And after ward you suffered the consequences of your inactions, and every time you thought about it, or saw something that reminded you of it you would kick yourself or wish you had done it? That is called torment... Thank God when we miss up we can confess our sin before God, and forgives us, then cleanses us from all unrighteousness.
    There is a day coming in which every knee shall bow, and ever tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the Glory of God the Father. Right now when someone says that they become born again, but in that time when every body confesses Jesus as Lord it will be to late! Condemnation will not come from God, but every ones own conscience will torment them for not doing what they knew was right. That is the outcome of all who reject the truth today.

Curtis
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Wilson View Post
    every ones own conscience will torment them for not doing what they knew was right. That is the outcome of all who reject the truth today.
    My Indian friends will convert to Christianity as quickly as you convert to Hinduism. For them, Christianity is not right and their consciences are at peace.

Mar 1, 2013, 09:16 PM
    My Indian friends will convert to Christianity as quickly as you convert to Hinduism. For them, Christianity is not right and their consciences are at peace.
    Lets ask them after they learn the real truth of who Jesus Christ is.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 09:18 PM
    Lets ask them after they learn the real truth of who Jesus Christ is.
    You're wielding His name like a cudgel.

Mar 1, 2013, 09:30 PM
    You're wielding His name like a cudgel.
    I think that is what we are suppose to do... right?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 09:35 PM
    I think that is what we are suppose to do....right?
    Ummmm, no.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2013, 09:44 AM
    WG

Well if many good people of other faiths don't have to accept Jesus as their savior... it sounds more like universalisim than christianity to me.

By the way.. thanks for fixing my post. You may do that ANYtime. Forgot to tell you that. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 2, 2013, 09:59 AM
    WG

well if many good people of other faiths don't have to accept Jesus as their savior...it sounds more like universalisim than christianity to me.
    That's not what I said.

I correct only egregious spelling errors.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2013, 10:06 AM
    WG,

Egregious? Lol OK

Well from what I can understand from your posts you do not believe a devout Hindu needs to accept Jesus in order to be with the Father. What am I not understanding?

Ok. Let me ask you this.. What must a person do to be saved?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 2, 2013, 11:04 AM
    What must a person do to be saved?
    What does being saved mean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eternal damnation? [ 64 Answers ]

I know the bible says that if a person is not saved and is burned up in the fires of hell that the smoke of his torment ariseth forever. Does that mean that he will actually suffer the pain and torment forever? Or once he is burned in the fires of hell he will no longer be conscious? Kind of...

I will be the eternal love? [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of mine was confused by a boy. Three years ago they met in a disco, and they started to went out together at nights, as good friends, but one day he kissed her. He said her that he didn't want anything special, he wanted let the things go on, and see what happened between them. They...

The Creation of the Universe and an eternal God. [ 19 Answers ]

I hope nobody sees this as a baited question. I hope you all know me well enough to know that I'm just here as a genuinely interested party, wondering how certain inconsistancies (as I see them) are explained in religious creation. If God is perfect, and God is eternal, why did he suddenly feel...

View more questions Search