Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MyQuestionIs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2013, 08:36 PM
    Is my rental agreement invalid if I have not paid any money?
    We have signed a lease agreement on a house out of state. Timing has forced us to secure housing sight unseen. We have not paid any application fees or a security deposit on this house. We have asked the landlord's rep to release us from this agreement, as we have determined the moving costs are higher than we expected, but the rep is dragging his feet and saying the lease is valid and is a ratified lease at this point because the people he represents are trying to find housing themselves out of state and will lose their deposit if my lease does not go through. What is my recourse?
    Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 1, 2013, 04:25 AM
    Not much. You signed a contract. Even if money didn't change hands, the agreement was signed by both parties (I'm assuming). Therefore you are bound. And if they lose because you back out you could be sued for damages.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 05:42 AM
    Right. You have recited nothing which would be grounds for you to get out of the lease contract.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2013, 05:51 AM
    Hello My:

What is my recourse?
    Offer a months rent to end it. Send them a check in a certified letter saying that acceptance of your offer is final payment.

Excon
    MyQuestionIs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2013, 07:53 AM
    Thank you, all!
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Mar 1, 2013, 09:29 AM
    They can hold you responsible for rent for the entire term of the lease if they want to but I think excon's suggestion is your best course of action. They might demand another month or two though.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2013, 09:55 AM
    Hello again, M:

Not quite... Unless the house is in Florida, every other state requires the landlord to mitigate the damages.. That means the landlord must try to re-rent the premises as soon as he can. Assuming this isn't a dump, ANY landlord ought to be able to re-rent a house within a couple months...

So, more than likely, you'd only be liable for about two months rent. He'd have to SUE you for it, then he has to be able to collect. You're out of state. He'd have a very hard time collecting..

If you follow my advice, he'd have a bird in the hand. Hopefully, he's smart enough to know that.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visitor got citation for invalid drivers licence while driving a rental car. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. I am a South African working in Florida on a 6 month working visa. About 2 weeks ago I rented a car for the day. The guy at the rental place asked to see my drivers licence and credit card. I gave him my South African drivers licence and credit card. He did not say a word to me that my...

Can I sue to have a court declare an agreement to be invalid? [ 3 Answers ]

I signed an agreement to release all my interest in a Family Trust which I now deeply regret. This agreement was made in consideration of a sum of money, was notorized, states that I was of sound mind, and on the surface appears to include the basic elements of contract law. However, it was...

How do I get rid of girlfriend in house no rental agreement no monies paid [ 2 Answers ]

I asked a non-sexual girlfriend if she wanted to stay with me a year ago... she agreed to help with costs... I have a monthly agreement with my land lord with no lease and I am the only one who is supposed to be there.. NO MONEY has ever been paid to me and the relationship is strained at best... I...

View more questions Search