Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Russ banasiak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2013, 07:28 PM
    Etiquette for destination wedding
    I am going to my best friends wedding in Aruba. Expensive place and all inclusive. I am bringing my 2 boys so chose to stay at a less expensive place. I was told that I have to pay a fee per person to attend the hotel for the day of the wedding. There is no private reception so essentially I am paying for mine and my 2 children's plates at this wedding. Paying $2000.00 for 4 days away for me and my 2 sons is not in my financial budget but saying no is not in my friend budget. Do I still give a gift?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 07:33 PM
    I hope destination weddings go out of fashion soon.

Is there something you can give from your heart and your years as friends -- a special photo album of pictures and stories you round up from mutual friends?

I personally believe your presence at her expensive wedding is your gift to her.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 07:38 PM
    I really don't think she should expect a gift. As a friend she should be aware of your financial restraints, and that you have children, and attending this wedding will cost you a bundle.

I would give her a card, and in that card I'd write "my gift to you, is me", or make it funny "I was going to buy you a gift, but you decided to get married in no mans land, so you'll have to settle for this card".

Have fun while you're there.
    jordii Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Mar 16, 2013, 02:51 PM
    That is a huge amount of money. I don't think your friend would expect you to give a gift but then I am of the opinion that no couple who wants a destination should be greedy enough to expect gifts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper etiquette gift for destination weddings [ 1 Answers ]

How much money to give per person attending a destination wedding reception

Destination Wedding... HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and my best friend, who is also my child's God-Mother,(couple) are having a destination wedding. This wedding will cost us almost $4000 I was not asked to be in the bridal party, nor was he. We are wondering how much of a monetary gift we should now give them with the fact that we are...

Gift for a destination wedding? [ 1 Answers ]

My niece is having a destination wedding in Costa Rica which my husband nor I will be able to attend. Her sister had her wedding in Hawaii two years ago, which we also weren't able to attend. (I have two children in college... enough said!)For her sisters wedding I had arranged after the ceremony...

Destination wedding gift etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

A family member is having a destination wedding which we will not be attending. They are also planning a reception about 9 months later closer to home. We, of course, want to give a gift but am unsure if we do this prior to the actual wedding or do we wait until the reception 9 months later which...

Destination Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

I am a maid of honor at a destination wedding, there will not be any one else coming except the bride, groom, best man, myself and the father of the bride. I am not sure if it is appropriate to have a shower for her or not?

View more questions Search