Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jojoba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2013, 07:02 PM
    Gynecologist
    Can your gynecologist tell your mom if you're a virgin if you tell her not to even though I'm only 14
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2013, 07:03 PM
    Not without your permission.
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Feb 28, 2013, 07:51 PM
    I would highly suspect that a parent has a legal right to medical information about a minor child that is under their parental care.

Mar 1, 2013, 04:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcsap9213 View Post
    I would highly suspect that a parent has a legal right to medical information about a minor child that is under their parental care.
    Yes and no. The thing is that whether a girl has lost her virginity or not, is not medical information that would, necessarily, affect her health. So there would be no requirement to discuss it with a parent without the minor's permission.
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Mar 1, 2013, 04:24 AM
    I disagree. While it is not a medical condition...

It most certainly is of medical importance and the information is important to the resultant lifestyle which can have HUGE medical implications.

I do not see a minor child having any kind of authority to tell a doctor what they can and can't tell a parent about them. Minors under direct parental care and control have very few rights when it comes to medical history / information.

Mar 1, 2013, 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcsap9213 View Post
    I disagree. While it is not a medical condition....

It most certainly is of medical importance and the information is important to the resultant lifestyle which can have HUGE medical implications.

I do not see a minor child having any kind of authority to tell a doctor what they can and can't tell a parent about them. Minors under direct parental care and control have very few rights when it comes to medical history / information.

And you would be wrong: Its not a matter of disagreement it's a matter of the law.

What about minors whose safety depends on the confidentiality of their health
    information?

Notwithstanding the rules above, and regardless of any contrary state law,
    health care providers and others may decline to treat a parent as a minor's
    personal representative based on a reasonable belief that such a decision
    would be in the minor's best interest and that the parent has subjected or
    may subject the minor to abuse, neglect, or endangerment.
    Even when the parent is the minor's personal representative, health care
    providers and others may deny information to the parent to prevent substantial harm to the minor or another person.

http://www.aclu.org/FilesPDFs/med_privacy_guide.pdf
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 06:49 AM
    I think Scott summed it up well. If the parent is not in the examination room, the doctor has no right or responsibility to tell the parent what is said between minor and physician.

I'm left wondering, though, how a doctor can know that a person is a virgin without disclosure from the patient herself. The doctor can't. There is no way to tell whether a patient is a virgin strictly by exam unless the patient has been pregnant at one time in her life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gynecologist [ 22 Answers ]

I've been dating a girl for about 2 months now. We first tried have sex a couple of days ago but I think that her clitorides was to tight to fit my penis. We didn't manage to have sex at the end. Could you please help me? How such a thing could be happening? I never had this kind of problem again.

Ask a gynecologist [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I have recently discovered a small red bump - rahter like a mosquito's bite - on the outside lip of the vigina. It almost doesn't itch or hurt unless I touch it. I am 18 but have never had sex and I am due to start my period very soon. I have tried taking an alergy tablet but for no use and...

Gynecologist help [ 2 Answers ]

Since December I have been getting my period 3 times a month and been spotting in between so I had been bleeding practically the whole month I also start bleeding after sexual intercourse and my period have been longer than 7 days the longest has been 13 days I really don't know what to do I am 17...

Gynecologist [ 1 Answers ]

I had unprotected sex March 23 and two days later I noticed a little spotting but it went away a few minutes later and reappeared the next day around that same time then had I sex again on that Friday. Leading up to Sunday I began experiecing what seemed to be light cramps but I ignored it and...

View more questions Search