Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhaicl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2013, 09:30 AM
    Natural Gas Seeping into house on windy day
    Twice when we had winds over 40 mph, I have a strong natural gas smell in our back yard. Last week it was at night, smelled natural gas while sitting in our living room, smell was in our kitchen, attached garage and backyard. Very strong. It was gone after about 10 min. There was no odor in the basement or other parts of house. Gas company checked our home and neighbors homes. The wind that night was gusting from 40 to 50 mph coming from the southwest to northeast. Gas company employee said it was from our neighbors house across the street - northwest. They did some work that night and said it was taken care of. Now with strong winds coming from the Southwest how could a gas leak from a home Northwest of us be causing us to have the odor inside? Doesn't make sense. 3 nights later, windy around 25 mph there was the odor but it only lasted a couple of min and I just happened to be outside then. I would like to note that when the gas employees were working on the gas line, they were down in the hole smoking.
    I would think the problem is coming from a home behind us - southwest. What do you think?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2013, 11:04 AM
    You might not be smelling natural gas... but sewer gas.. that many times has an identical odor. And winds can sometimes suck out odors through vents.. etc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my gas fire keep going out when it's windy? [ 2 Answers ]

My gas fire keeps going out when its windy any ideas how to stop this please

Day & Night (Carrier) Natural Gas Furnace Lights Sometimes [ 1 Answers ]

Day & Night (Carrier) Natural Gas Furnace Model 394JAZ036065AAFA with intermittent pilot (3-wire model 740A). Problem 1: Sometimes it works fine, but more often than not the pilot will not light unless I blow on it with a blow dryer while the electrode/ignitor is sparking. After just a couple of...

Knocking Noise In Attic On A Windy Day [ 1 Answers ]

Please Help I have a new construction 2 story home and every time it is really windy outside I hear a knocking noise between my upstairs bedroom ceiling and the attic. The noise isn't the typical siding noise, the soffits or my exhaust vents. The noise can best be described at a...

Natural gas smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

Every so often there is anatural gas leak smell coming from the furnace or water heater since summer of 2010 . It is now October and back again . It really seems to be at the furnace side though. Any ideas?

How do I find my natural gas path in my house [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a house built in the 1960's. My gas meter output branches into two pipes that enter the wall of my house approximately one foot horizontally from each other and at the same verical height approximately six inches above grade. My meter and supply pipes are located on the south wall...

View more questions Search