Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Key Deposits in Quebec
    Does anyone know or have a link to information about whether a landlord can ask for a deposit for keys in Quebec? I remember reading (dont remember where) that in the province of Quebec a landlord cannot ask for any money when they give you sets of keys.

We paid $45.00 for keys when we moved in (2 front door keys, 2 apartment door keys and a mailbox key) and now we need a spare key to our apartment door and they want another $15.00 for 1 more apt door key. When we moved in they claimed that they change the apt door deadbolts each time someone moves out for extra security and this is why the keys were so expensive (I should add the deadbolts look like they are at least 10 years old, the metal finish is a dull metallic gray)

Any advice or information that I can use as backup to refuse this and maybe even ask for my innitial $45.00 back would be much appreciated.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent Deposits [ 2 Answers ]

I am sub-letting my two bedroom house in Florida. I received a deposit of $825.00 from a guy (which is equal to one months rent) on the 21st of last month. His move in date was to be February 1st. On January 31st, he informed me via email that he was not going to take the room. This was my...

Pet Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania and when we initially rented our home we were required to put down a $2000 non-refundable pet deposit. In the second year, the landlord asked for an additional $995 non-refundable pet deposit. My question is this, was it legal for her to demand this second deposit or can I...

Security Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question.. state is New Hampshire. Does anyone know if a security deposit ( by law) should be put into an account?I am aware that a unit of 6 or more is required an account,I want to know if it applies for a 2 unit also.

Ambulance bill in collection ( quebec) [ 3 Answers ]

A FRIEND OF MINE WHO IS LIVING IN MONTREAL QUEBEC HAS A VERY VERY GOOD CREDIT( or I WOULD SAY hAd a very very good credit), he went to a bar and had a little too much and fell on the floor , the bar owner called the ambulance. The ambulance came and took him to the hospital and relesed him after...

Security Deposits [ 5 Answers ]

If a Rental Property changes ownership is the repsonsibility of the New owner to get Security Deposits paid by the Tenants that already occupy apartments in building? The management company of the new owner of my building is telling me I will have to track down the previous owner to try and get my...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.