Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 07:33 PM
    Carpet bug
    Found this bug--in the tub of all places--and think (from looking online) that it's a carpet bug.

Advice on how to deal with this if it is?
    Attached Images

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 07:49 PM
    That is indeed a varigated carpet beetle. They're usually pretty easy to get rid of. Check any houseplants for grubs as well as throw rugs and drapes for holes in the backing. Use a surface spray with a growth regulator in carpeted areas and on rugs. Repeat in two weeks.
    Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 07:59 PM
    Thank you!
    Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 08:00 PM
    I do want to say that the plants are going to be a bigger problem than the carpets.

Oy.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

Feb 28, 2013, 01:24 AM
    A thorough vacuuming is the first option for carpet beetles. Empty the vacuum after you're done. The larvae aren't always easy to find. A few carpet beetles aren't cause for alarm. They shun the light and might be found feeding on wool carpets, fur, feather, animal dander, dead insects, hair balls, etc. Check your woolens, including wool rugs or furs for infestation. Check underneath carpets and furniture and inside closets. Adult carpet beetles are attracted to sunlight, hence they are often found at the base of windows.
    Carpet Beetle Management Guidelines--UC IPM
    Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 06:24 AM
    The irony of this is that I have two 8x5 area rugs and the rest of my 2000 sq ft house is hardwood floors.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    The irony of this is that I have two 8x5 area rugs and the rest of my 2000 sq ft house is hardwood floors.
    I thought I remembered that. That's why I mentioned the plants first. Don't forget potpourri and dried flowers as well. If you find them in flowerpots, diatomaceous earth mixed into the soil will get rid of them in the pot eventually. You trade off safety for speed.
    Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 04:49 PM
    Where can I get dirt like that? Like Home Depot? Or do I need to go to a nursery?

And yeah... something like 70 houseplants... this is going to be a long week of checking I think.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Where can I get dirt like that? Like Home Depot? or do I need to go to a nursery?

And yeah...something like 70 houseplants.....this is going to be a long week of checking I think.
    Check the Home Depot site for "Diatom Dust" in their Lawn &Garden section.

Feb 28, 2013, 05:43 PM
    Adult Anthrenus spp.(carpet beetles) feed on flowers and pollen. The larvae scavenge on animal matter such as fur, dead animals, dead insects, feathers, uncured leather, etc. The larvae look dramatically different than the adult beetle. (They are not called grubs. Grubs are the larvae of scarab beetles.) Dermestid larvae often are hairy. (There are dermestid species that are not hairy.) It would be difficult to determine exactly which species, varied carpet beetle vs furniture beetle, without a microscope, but it is very likely your specimen is an Anthrenus

Dermestid beetles are also known as hide beetles, museum beetles, and furniture beetles. They are sometimes used by museums to clean carcasses, when they want to display or clean skeletons. They are pests in museum collections.

(I don't think it is necessary, but... ) Use diatomaceous earth in your houseplants, if you want, however you do not have to re-pot your houseplants. You can sprinkle the product on the soil surface and mix it lightly with the surface soil. Products that you might find in the nursery for this purpose are called by commercial names like Dri-die, Roach-Prufe, Silverfish packs, and others. They sometimes contain diatomaceous earth, or it may be called silica.

Once again, if you only found one or two, you might not have to do anything. Vacuuming should be your first defense. Once they finish feeding on whatever they were eating, you should stop seeing them. But check your woolens (rugs and sweaters), furs, feather dusters, feather artwork, stuffed animals, insect artwork or collections, anything with high protein content, because those could be infested and they could be breeding there. Do you have pets? They could be feeding on the dog/cat food and/or dander. Are your few carpets made of wool? If found, this type of material can be frozen to kill the larvae.

https://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/bimg154.html
    Dermestid Beetles - Hide Beetles, Carpet Beetles, and Larder Beetles - Family Dermestidae
    Dermestidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Dermestidae (Abbildungen)

Feb 28, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Actually, without a microscope and a real expert (=PhD), the only identification that can be made is to the family Dermestidae. There are many species of dermestids. Your specimen doesn't exactly look like a varied carpet beetle, Anthrenus verbasci

Feb 28, 2013, 10:11 PM
    Sorry, catsmine. I didn't say it was not an Anthrenus verbasci. There are over 500 species of Dermestidae. Many of them look very similar. Since the varied carpet beetle is so common A. verbasci is a good guess, but only a guess, because without microscopic determination with taxonomic keys of the actual specimen, by experts, I would only be confident in the determination to family.

I respect your experience with practical pest control techniques. I think you should respect my technical experience with scientific entomology. I post after careful research with references to authoritative university websites. You can't really be confident of that pitiful picture that you referenced from Project Noah, a citizen science site.

Below you see five pictures. The first is the OP's original. The second is your Project Noah picture. The next two came from Bugguide.net The colorful yellow multi-colored beetle was apparently posted from a museum and is identified as Anthrenus verbasci, the varied carpet beetle. The darker dermestid is apparently Anthrenus fuscus. And the last picture of two beetles is Anthrenus verbasci as posted on the University of California's website .

Are you still confident in your species ID?
    Attached Images

Feb 28, 2013, 10:42 PM
    Note that this beetle, ID'ed as apparently Anthrenus scrophulariae looks much more like the OP's picture, but I would still not be so definitive as to say we have a positive ID. All of the beetle pictures that have been posted could be properly called carpet beetles, meaning that they are classified in the family Dermestidae, but only the species Anthrenus verbasci is called the varied carpet beetle.

Mar 1, 2013, 12:24 AM
    I just found out that Anthrenus scrophulariae is called the common carpet beetle. I am more confident that this might be the species the OP is seeing.

common carpet beetle - Anthrenus scrophulariae (Linnaeus)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in873
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 03:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Locrian_44 View Post
    I respect your experience with practical pest control techniques. I think you should respect my technical experience with scientific entomology. I post after careful research with references to authoritative university websites. You can't really be confident of that pitiful picture that you referenced from Project Noah, a citizen science site.
    Perhaps you might look at the Entomology Board to exercise your expertise. Normally technical identification is the answer requested over there.
    You'll note that on this board the focus is usually "how do I get rid of..." or "how do I deal with..." rather than "what is it?"

I have found that my decades of experience are more useful than the Master's I picked up along the way. Give a university 25 grand and you too can have any Ph.D. you want.

The question has been answered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I tell if bug bites are parasites from within my body or bug buts found home? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finding EVERYWHERE what looks like a piece of tobacco (under magnifying glass, definitely not tobacco). Small sliver-like brown (they look like tiny cigars) pieces of what can only be described as burnt ground beef or coffee grounds everywhere. Also, my cat has ear mites and is being...

Can anyone help me identify this bug found on a carpet? [ 5 Answers ]

I found a bug on the carpet in a rental unit... Can you help identify it? Thanks

Re:carpet knowledge of how long carpet has been in the apartment ? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the landlord need to keep the tentant knowledgeable of how long ago the carpter was first installed in apartment?

How to bid on a carpet cleaning job at 5000 square feet of carpet [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I'm bidding on a real estate contract,just doing the buffing and waxing of the tile floors every week at 280 square feet,and cleaning of the carpets bonnet cleaning weekly for spots and extractions once a month at 5000 square feet no cleaning of the building at this time.what would be the...

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

View more questions Search