Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yvonne O Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2013, 09:39 AM
    How long do sewer flies live in a house where the sewer line has been replaced
    I just had the whole sewer line replaced about 5 weeks ago. We had the camera test done and discovered that the whole line was cracked and opened. We noticed drain flies and gnats all over the house. I am still seeing flies and gnats now that the work is completed. My plumber said that it could take a while for this problem to go away. How long will it be before this problem is resolved?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 09:55 AM
    The difficulty in getting rid of these bothersome little flies is that they can continue to lay eggs in the organic residue left over from the broken pipes. If only the broken sections were replaced, there could still be soap scum and other organic residue in the old pipes that are still good. An enzyme based drain cleaner can get rid of that residue and get them out of the pipes completely.

If the bad pipes were under the house and left spillage in the soil, the flies could come in around the pipes or electric conduits or even the clothes dryer vent. A layer of lime will help break down the spillage faster and eliminate that as a breeding site as well as reduce odors from organic decay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belly, Sag in Sewer line under house [ 5 Answers ]

Problem originally started the morning of 2/12. As my wife was showering we heard a lot of gurgling in the toilets. We waited a couple minutes and I tried to flush the toilet in that bathroom and it would not flush. I walked toward the front of the house and flushed that toilet and it would not...

How to connect vent line to sewer line in a 3 unit house? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to have something clarified for me, I have a 3 unit house that I recently bought and the cast iron sewer pipe was cracked from the 2nd fl down to the 1st fl. It has been cut away and I have the 4' pvc to replace it but now I cannot remember how the vent line was connected to it. The vent...

Sewer line from the house to the septic tank [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently building a new home. The access to the septic tank from the back of the house is currently blocked by the home we are currently living in. I am wondering if it is feasible to put a 90 with a clean out at the house and another further down to direct flow to the septic tank. This...

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Can't find the sewer line at our house. [ 7 Answers ]

There is a clog in our sewer line. How do we find the sewer line?

View more questions Search