Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 06:32 PM
    This could change your life. Read it. It's worth it.
    A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll
    Ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..

‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.

‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.

Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 06:42 PM
    I haven't seen that in a while... always amazing to read!
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I haven't seen that in a while....always amazing to read!
    It is a wonderful read. I'm still weepy. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 07:37 PM
    I've always loved that one!
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I've always loved that one!
    It seems that everyone has seen this before. Everyone but me.

Here I thought I was posting an eye opening, awe inspiring, change your life post, but it was only new to me. :(

Has everyone seen this? Am I the only one that only saw it today for the first time?

Sigh. Last again.

So, who wants to go for a beer? :)
    Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 07:51 PM
    I'd love to go for a beer!
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 07:54 PM
    I'd love to go for a beer!
    I'll pick you up in... hmmmm... a year to get a passport, then another 6 months to get the money for a plane ticket, and then a few months to get the money to pay for food, beer, etc while I'm there. Can I stay with you? That will cut down on costs.

Basically, I'll be there some time in 2014/2015.

Ya, I'm a crappy date. :(
    Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 08:01 PM
    You can stay here. Come during the summer and we can drink beer and swim!

Yeah, I'm a crappy date too. You'll have to drink my beer. I forgot I'm on call tonight.
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 08:05 PM
    You can stay here. Come during the summer and we can drink beer and swim!

Yeah, I'm a crappy date too. You'll have to drink my beer. I forgot I'm on call tonight.
    Wait... did you just say that I get a beer, and then I also get your beer?

I think I'm in love!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My life seems to not change... I feel depressed or stressed in life. [ 2 Answers ]

I've been feeling sad, lonely... Food isn't catching my interest anymore. I have a daughter, times I don't notice her happiness. I don't smile nor laugh anymore. Before I met my ex-boyfriend, I was blissful. Now, as of lately I could careless of my happiness. I notice this was a problem for quiet...

How to deal with quick fixes? Enotalone - superdave - worth a read all! [ 5 Answers ]

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, In order to fix anything, one must know what the problem is. Whether it be a big repair or small... if you don't know the issuse(s) at hand, what are you fixing? Let's look deeper into the definition of "Fix" in this instance: a. To correct or set...

View more questions Search