Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjklinvex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Cracked heat exchanger kenmore furnace ask
    I have a Kenmore furnace that was installed in May 1999, cracked heat exchanger March, 2010. Sears did the repair and it cracked again in De. 2010, repaired again by Sears. November 2012, had a Trane installed, there were big holes in the exchanger?
    Would it be common for 4 heat exchangers to go bad in 13 years?

Thank you in advance,
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Something is wrong with the install of those furnaces. You might have a restricted return among other things. Get a good contractor and have them look over your duct work because losing all those heat exchangers is not normal.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2013, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Something is wrong with the install of those furnaces. You might have a restricted return among other things. Get a good contractor and have them look over your duct work because loosing all those heat exchangers is not normal.
    Agreed 100%. If no other changes were made & the Trane is the same capacity, it too will crack.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Do you ever set the temperature way low when you are gone for a lengthy time like on vacation or long weekends?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hazards of cracked heat exchanger? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old Carrier gas pack that stopped working last week. The thermostat works and the unit will kick on but no heat (or any air period) comes up in the vents. The unit is working as it is kicking air out its side vent. I had a technician come look at it today and he said he had not...

Cracked heat exchanger [ 3 Answers ]

Service tech says that I have a cracked heat exchanger. He showed me with a camera something which looked like a crack in the exchanger. He didn't check the CO levels so I'm not sure what to do. Winter is approaching here in Colorado. Should I get someone else to look at the furnace?

American HomeShield Warranty & Cracked Heat Exchanger [ 15 Answers ]

Today, I had my regular heating oil company come out and do the yearly cleaning and maintenance on my oil furnace. My oil furnace is a very old Rheem that has lasted 30 years. The service man told me that I have a cracked heat exchanger and that I need a new furnace. He 'RED TAGGED" it and...

Cracked heat exchanger [ 3 Answers ]

First time user... Quick question. I have a carrier gas furnace (roof unit) circa 1979. We have been told we have a cracked heat exchanger. The technician showed my husband. He said that since our unit is so old, they can not buy a replacement part, so our only option is to spend the $15K to...

Kenmore Furnace, Cracked Heat Exchanger [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore natural gas furnace that is about 15-20 yrs old, heats a house which is about 1600 sq ft. This morning there was an odor in the house (smelled like something burning)- and the furnace would kick on and off periodically, but nothing blew through the vents... started getting cold......

View more questions Search