Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lupus71 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 12:52 PM
    #4 Alum use-2 OK for power to sub?
    I am trying to run power from my existing sub panel to my new wood shop in my backyard about 110' away. Can use-2 #4 aluminum be used to power the sub panel? I read the 2011nec for ga and it seems like only #3 uf aluminum is allowed. Am I wrong on this? Also my shop is going to be unfinished and I'm trying to find out how I have to wire this up. Is 1/2 emit secured to the inside of the studs the way to install it?

Feb 26, 2013, 12:53 PM
    Sorry it's a 60 amp sub
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 01:04 PM
    It's fine. Where are you reading that only #3UF is allowed?

Feb 26, 2013, 02:24 PM
    2011 nec book. Says # 4 alum is 55 amps at 60 deg.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2013, 03:22 PM
    You are allowed to use #4 AL for a 60 amp feeder. More specifically you are allowed to round up to the next standard overcurrent device size above the ampacity of the conductors being protected.
    Look at 240.4(B) and then 240.6(A)...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is an Alum douche safe? [ 1 Answers ]

Is an Alum douche safe?

I 'm installing #2-4 alum wire through crawl space [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know if #2-4 alum wire needs to be put in conduit if it travel under a house in a crawl space some of which is exposed , the house sits on piers.

What type #6-3 alum. Wire from my main service across the basement to aluminum URD [ 0 Answers ]

The URD is in 2" metal conduit. It services a 50 amp detached garage.What type aluminum wire should be used between the main panel, and the junction box located at the "service" side of the conduit in the basement? Can I run aluminum through the basement in "free air"?

Iron or alum.railings in limestone [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, was wondering the average cost material and labor for drilling limestone tread/border on top.. it would be a straight run four feet on from pavement, I have three tread slabs (first tread will be drilled center top border is limestone for the top rail of three feet to siding. So I'll have...

Can alum do the work of tootpast? [ 3 Answers ]

I am very lazy when it comes to brushing teeth and don't brush my teeth daily at night and have many fillings in molars. I don't want plaque to be created or any other kind of tooth decay. Can anyone please tell me if I make a mixture of alum i.e. dissolve alum in water and just do mouth gargles...

View more questions Search