Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kasper1965 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2013, 03:38 PM
    Sold home in CA 2012 $500,000 received through inheritance what taxes are due?
    Inherited home in California and sold it in 2012 for $500,000. What taxes are due if I lived in it for three years?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 07:12 PM
    If you are filing jointly with your spouse, for sure NO taxes are due.

If you are single, then I would need to know what it was valued at when the person who willed it to you died. More than likely, your total gain is NOT more than $250K, in which case there is also no tax due.

Under the above circumstances, you do not even have to report the sale on your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red & Blue Company sold bonds at 97 on an interest payment date for $500,000. Assumi [ 0 Answers ]

Red & Blue Company sold bonds at 97 on an interest payment date for $500,000. Assuming the bonds will be retired in 10 years and interest is paid annually. The bonds carry a stated interest rate of 5 percent.

What would taxes be on a 2,500,000 inheritance from my mother-in-law [ 1 Answers ]

My mother-in-law is leaving a 2,500,000 inheritance, to be divided between two sons. What would be the estate tax? The state tax? The federal tax? Both sons are at the highest tax bracket.

Received an inheritance of 28,000 after filling for chapter 13, we did not report it, [ 3 Answers ]

Received an inheritance of $28,000, after filling chapter 13. We did not disclose to our lawyer, and he has now found out and wants to drop us to chapter 7.. We want to keep our home. What should we do

Red & Blue Company sold bonds at 97 on an interest payment date for $500,000. Assumin [ 1 Answers ]

Red & Blue Cross sold bonds at 97 on an interest payment date for $500,000. Assuming the bonds will be retired in 10 years and interest is paid annually. The bonds carry a stated interest rate of 5 percent. 1). Calculate the amount of cash that will be received and paid by Ted and Blue in the...

500,000 after taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Thinking Of Going On Big Brother And Just Curious If I Was To Win 500,000 How Much Could I Actually Walk Away With?

View more questions Search