Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomg5960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2013, 08:56 AM
    Boiler will not shut off
    I have hot water heat in my house and a programmable thermostat.
    The pump and boiler will come on to heat my house, but will stay on even after
    The pre-set temp has been reached. When I try to manually override (using the thermostat), the boiler and pump stay on--even if I shut off the system using the thermostat. I finally have had to use the breaker to make the system shut off.
    But when I turn the system back on (the next morning), the system will work the way it should for a while, but then it goes back to staying on and not obeying the thermostat.
    I replaced the thermostat with a brand new one--the problem stays the same.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2013, 07:37 PM
    Sounds like you have a relay sticking or possibly a short in the thermostat wiring. Try disconnecting the thermostat wires from the boiler. If the boiler & circulator shut down, it is likely a problem in the thermostat wire. If it doesn't the problem likely lies in the boiler control.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 10:17 PM
    Many boiler systems are wired off the main burner control to maintain the boiler water temperature. In other words the boiler will stay at lets say 160-180 degrees at all times weather the thermostat is calling for heat or not. This is usually done on boiler systems that also supply domestic hot water along with hot water for heating. So you might have to check the boiler control or (Aqua-stat) as some are called to see how it is wired or test the control system to see if that is the cause of your problem/situation.

A pinched or shorted thermostat wire can also cause this.

Aquastat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boiler shut down problem [ 0 Answers ]

I have rusty water leaking from the air valve and backflow preventer causing my boiler to shut down. Does anyone know how I can fix it. Thank you.

Boiler will not shut off [ 1 Answers ]

I have hot water heating in my home. The boiler will not shut off once it is turned on. I tried replacing the wall thermostat but that did not work. The only way to turn it off is to hit the power supply to the boiler. Any suggestions?

Boiler won't shut off [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Oil to Gas conversion boiler and for some reason I cannot get the boiler or the circulator pump to shut off. I have a digital thermostat and it is set for 65 degrees but the boiler keeps firing up and the temp in the House is now 72 degrees. The boiler will run for 3 minutes then...

Shut of water to house and not boiler [ 3 Answers ]

We have a boiler. When we are not home we would like to shut off the water in the house. We have had conflicting opinions about the boiler. We were told that if we shut off water to the boiler and there are any pin hole leaks in the system, eventually the boiler could "dry fire" and have...

View more questions Search