Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    littlestangel77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
    Cost basis for old stock
    My father owned stock in just his name but before he passed away in 1991, he had my mother's name added to his stock as jt tenants with rights of survivorship. I have a copy of the certificate showing it reissued in both their names and it is dated May 1, 1990. Now my mother is in an assisted living home and part of the stock was sold this past year to provide funds for her. My question is... I have no cost basis for this stock which was bought at various dates from1980 through1982. It was originally Southern Natural Resources but has since changed hands... SONAT, EL PASO, and now Kinder Morgan. It was sold before the last merger so was El Paso stock at time of sale. I have searched for historical data to determine cost basis for Southern Natural Resources but can't find any back that far. Also since my mother's name was not on the stock until 1990, is that when she acquired the stock or is the acquistion date when my father bought it in just his name? Help would be appreciated!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 10:02 AM
    The cost basis is based on your father's original acquisition date - there is no "step up" of basis allowed by simply retitling the stock to joint ownership (imagine if this was legal - all a married couple would need to do to avoid capital gains tax entirely is retitle from single ownership to joint or vice versa just before selling the stock - that would be a loop hole the size of the Grand Canyon!).

Have you carefully looked through all your father's financial records to see if he kept any old statemenst from the early 80's? Even if such a statement doesn't show the purchase, you would at least get an idea for "reasonable" valuation. But be careful - you need to consider the effect of subsequent stock splits and mergers on the original cost basis.

BTW, I believe the original company name was Southern Natural Industries, not Southern Natural Resources. They changed their name to SONAT in 1982, and merged with ElPaso in 1999. Here is a site with some info on that merger - it seems that your father received 1 share of El Paso for each of his original SONAT shares: El Paso | Investors | Cost Basis Calculator

I also suggest you contact the investor relations department at Kinder Morgan (if that's the current incarnation of the company) and ask whether they can help you figure out the stock price for SONAT from back in '82.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2013, 11:04 AM
    ebaines,

Could it be tracked back through historical prices on sites like Yahoo Finance or similar sites, possibly?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 11:52 AM
    Maybe; give it a try!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    ebaines,

Could it be tracked back through historical prices on sites like Yahoo Finance or similar sites, possibly?
    Generally - no. Although many sites offer historical stock prices they stop showing history for stocks that are no longer traded. So you won't find historical prices for companies such as GM, the old AT&T Corp (not to be confused with AT&T Inc), or SONAT (whose old stock symbol was "SNT") on these free sites. The case of AT&T is an example of where you can be led astray by historical data on these sites - if you try to find the price of the old AT&T Corp (symbol = "T") from the days prior to the merger with SBC what you will find using "T" as the stock symbol are actually prices for SBC, who adopted the symbol "T" after the merger when they changed their name to "AT&T Inc." And if you try to find pre-merger historical prices for SBC it says there is no data available - because you should be searching for "T" instead!

Another option: if you have a full service stock broker they may have better acces to historical data than is offered on the free web sites.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 01:46 PM
    Even the discount brokers have better access, and some of the original discounters, like Schwab and Fidelity, will help you in such a search, especially if you are deemed a good customer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost basis of Sale of Stock Rights - Inc. Tax [ 10 Answers ]

Income from Sale of ADR Stock Rights? - Form 1099-B My 2010 Form 1099-B shows Gross Proceeds from the sale of rights for ADR shares. I received these proceeds, as I had not exercised the right to buy more ADRs of the company issuing the extra shares. I opted out of the new purchase of shares, so...

Describe the basis characteristics of stock insurers [ 0 Answers ]

Please, answer this question in short and easy to memorize.Thank you for helping me :)

Cost Basis of Avaya Stock received from 1960's AT&T stock [ 2 Answers ]

During the 2nd half of the 1960's, my parents bought AT&T stock and had all dividends reinvested. At some point, there was a spin-off and my parents received Avaya stock. Effective October 26, 2007, Avaya was acquired by Sierra Merger Corp. an entity formed by affiliates of private equity firms...

Wash Sales! What to add to Cost Basis of Replacement Stock [ 3 Answers ]

So far here's what I know about wash sales. If you sell a stock at a loss and buy the same or similar stock within 30 days, its considered a wash sale. The loss you incurred from the sale gets added to the cost basis of the new replacement stock you purchased. This is easy enough if you bought...

View more questions Search