Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fustrated Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2007, 09:04 AM
    High-low method, contribution margin per case, fixed costs, break-even
    Hi everyone,

Royal Essentials, Inc. begin operations on January 1, 2008. The company produces a hand and body lotion in an eight-ounce bottle called Eternal Beauty. The lotion is sold wholesale in 12-bottle cases for $80 per case. There is a selling commission of $16 per case. The January direct materials, direct labor, and factory overhead cost are as follows:
    Direct Materials

..... Cost Behavior....Units Per Case....Cost per unit...Direct Materials cost per case
    Cream base variable... 72 ozs.. . $0.015... $1.08
    Natural oils... variable... 24 ozs.. . 0.250... 6.00
    Bottle (8oz.).. variable... 12 bottles... 0.400... 4.80
    ... $11.88

Direct Labor

Dept.. . Cost Behavior.. Time per case.. Labor Rate Per hour.. Direct Labor Cost per case

The Problem:
    The management of Royal Essentials, Inc. wishes to determine the number of cases required to break even per month. The utilities cost, which is part of factory overhead, is a mixed cost. The following information was gathered from the first six months of operation regarding this cost.
    2008... Case Production... Utility Total Cost...
    January... 300... $230
    February... 600... 265
    March... 1,000... 300
    April... 900... 292
    May... 750... 275
    June... 825... 280
    Instructions:
    1. Determine the fixed and variable portion of the utility cost using the high-low method.
    This is what I came up with, is this correct? $200. Fixed cost and a .10 per unit variable cost.

2. Determine the contribution margin cost per case.
    11.88 + 5.04 + .10 = $17.02 variable cost per case minus $80. Sales per case =$62.98
    Is this correct?

3. Determine the fixed cost per month, including the utility fixed cost.
    utility 200 plus facility lease 9,694 plus equipment depreciation 3,600, plus supplies 600 =14.094
    Is this correct?
    4. Determine the break-even number of cases per month.
    this is what I came up with: 14094/ 96 =146.8 cases per month.
    Is this correct?

If these are not correct, could you please help me?
    Thank you,
    fustrated
    :)
    moromba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 11:20 AM
    you need to minues 16.00 (commission) per sales caes.

You have 62.8 but -16 = 46.98 (per teacher):o
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 12:13 AM
    1. Determine the fixed and variable portion of the utility cost using the high-low method.
    This is what I came up with, is this correct? $200. Fixed cost and a .10 per unit variable cost.
    Correct

11.88 + 5.04 + .10 = $17.02 variable cost per case minus $80. Sales per case =$62.98
    Is this correct?
    Don't know where you got the $5.04, but I'm going to presume that's direct labor since you didn't give that information, but it seems logical. And you left off the $16 commission. Commission isn't factory overhead. It's a selling cost. However, contribution margin is sales minus all variable costs, regardless of whether they are product or period costs. So the $16 has to come out. (i.e. what moromba said, except this is the reason, not cause "per teacher.")

3. Determine the fixed cost per month, including the utility fixed cost.
    utility 200 plus facility lease 9,694 plus equipment depreciation 3,600, plus supplies 600 =14.094
    Is this correct?
    I don't know because you never gave any overhead information. Except for the $200 of course. But let's pretend for the moment this is all correct. (They are all fixed expenses, but whether you've included everything or not I don't know.)

4. Determine the break-even number of cases per month.
    this is what I came up with: 14094/ 96 =146.8 cases per month.
    Is this correct?
    Where did you get 96? Break-even is fixed costs divided by contribution margin. Each unit made will cost the variable costs. The leftovers are the contribution margin for each unit made. That contributes towards covering the fixed costs. If you take fixed costs and divide by contribution margin, it's telling you how many you need to make in order to cover the fixed costs. You should be using the number figured in step (2) (once it's corrected for the $16).
    chu26981 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 01:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300
    Correct

Don't know where you got the $5.04, but I'm going to presume that's direct labor since you didn't give that information, but it seems logical. And you left off the $16 commission. Commission isn't factory overhead. It's a selling cost. However, contribution margin is sales minus all variable costs, regardless of whether they are product or period costs. So the $16 has to come out. (i.e. what moromba said, except this is the reason, not cause "per teacher.")

I don't know because you never gave any overhead information. Except for the $200 of course. But let's pretend for the moment this is all correct. (They are all fixed expenses, but whether you've included everything or not I don't know.)

Where did you get 96? Break-even is fixed costs divided by contribution margin. Each unit made will cost the variable costs. The leftovers are the contribution margin for each unit made. That contributes towards covering the fixed costs. If you take fixed costs and divide by contribution margin, it's telling you how many you need to make in order to cover the fixed costs. You should be using the number figured in step (2) (once it's corrected for the $16).
    Could you please show your final answer not withstanding those items that were not given? I just want to compare my 'final' answer with what you have. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 07:16 PM
    No, I don't just give answers to homework. If you want yours checked, then post them and I'll check them.
    seema88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2010, 10:19 AM

Hi morgaine3000, I was just wondering whether if I post some calculations I worked out for the question I posted you would be willing to check them? Im sorry I am new to this website so didn't know how else to send you a message
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 03:24 AM

I would prefer that you don't send me personally a message anyway. Questions on a specific topic area are supposed to stay on the forums, and not be sending people questions privately.

You also need to start your own thread for your question. If you do that and post the problem and your work, someone can take a look at it when they get a chance, yes.
    faiser.malik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 11:04 AM
    asalama oalikum guys any 1 can tell me about step2 in which...
    explain me about the amount of 5.04
    and
    .Direct Materials cost per case(by adding all direct material cost is 11.88) and variable cost per unit (by using the method of high low method is .10)
    now tell me about 5.04
    turney1497 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2012, 08:08 AM
    Hi, I was just wondering where you get the .10 cents in question #2?
    turney1497 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2012, 08:09 AM
    And how you get the $200 for the fixed cost. Somehow I ended up with -2000. I thought I followed the rules correctly, but I have always struggled with math and accounting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed costs vs. Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please check my answers. -Classify each of the following items of factory overhead as either a fixed or a variable cost. (Include any costs you consider to be semivariable within the variable category) a. Indirect labor- fixed costs could be variable under certain circumstances b....

Contribution margin ratio [ 1 Answers ]

Im am trying to figure out how to compute contribution margin ratio. I found the sales mix percentage, but where do I go from there. You can use whatever numbers you want as long as you can give me a break down on how to compute the contribution margin ratio

Contribution Margin [ 1 Answers ]

What percentage of the contribution margin is profit on units sold in excess of the breakeven point?

Who should review my case (FICA contribution while on OPT) [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks so much for the quick answer Atlantatax Expert. Who should review my case individually (if I have to pay the FICA contribution while I'm on my OPT). Is my employer in charge of doing that or who should I ask? FYI, I'm French. Thanks again! Myprevious question...

View more questions Search