Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RikkiJade Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 11:44 PM
    Does Wicca Work?
    So I just started seeing a guy who is wiccan. I haven't really had the nerve to ask him much about it (too early in our relationship) but I have a lot of questions. I was raised christian, so I have some doubts. Does it really work, like how real is it? I don't know if I'm making much sense. I have heard that Wicca is not for everyone, but I want to know if it is for me. However, because of how I was raised in general, I am very skeptical of anything, and everything. That being said, is there a way to see if it will work for me, before I start digging into it like crazy?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 11:44 PM
    What do you mean by "work"? What do you expect it to do?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 11:50 PM
    I would urge you to read up on it, find out what it's all about.

Also, I'm curious what you mean by "Does Wicca work"? Work as what? It's a belief system, so yes, it does work for those that follow it, just like Christianity works for the people that follow it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 11:55 PM
    Your local public library has books on Wicca, so please look at those. Ask a librarian for help, since some of the info is in bigger books on comparative religion.

Feb 24, 2013, 11:57 PM
    Work... hmmm... hard to explain my thinking. I don't know. Lol. I actually had a friend who was trying to teach me about it years ago, but I just wasn't getting it. For those that believe in spells, do they really work? Have you ever tried one that doesn't work? I guess most of the belief part, I should probably read up on, so I know I'm getting good info... any suggestions on books?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RikkiJade View Post
    work...hmmm...hard to explain my thinking. I dont know. lol. I actually had a friend who was trying to teach me about it years ago, but I just wasn't getting it. For those that believe in spells, do they really work? Have you ever tried one that doesn't work? I guess most of the belief part, I should probably read up on, so I know I'm getting good info...any suggestions on books?
    You aren't talking about Wicca if you are talking about spells -- that's the least of Wicca.

"Wiccan views on theology are numerous and varied and there is no universally agreed-upon religious canon, but Wicca is traditionally a duotheistic religion that venerates both a "Triple Goddess" associated with the Moon and stars and fate, and a Horned God associated with forests and animals and the realm beyond death." (Wikipedia)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 12:04 AM
    One thing I can tell you. If you're only interested in Wicca because you want to learn spells, then you're interested in it for the wrong reason. That would be like someone saying they're only interested in Christianity because they want to eat the communion wafers.

Spells are a very very very small part of Wicca.

Go to your local library and ask what books they have on Wicca. There should be a great selection to choose from. Thankfully you can take them all home, if you have a library card, and do some research on your own. The internet can also be a good source of info, but I prefer books. Information found on the internet is not always reliable.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Feb 25, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Other comments I was going to make have been covered by other already. One thing I would like to say, however, is that Christianity shouldn't make you skeptical of every other religion. No where in scripture does it say that other beliefs don't have a spiritual power behind them. From a Christian view asking whether it "works" or not isn't really what you need to be asking... but rather is it right or not.

Feb 25, 2013, 02:33 PM
    I'm sorry, I'm not trying to offend anyone, if I did. I am not looking into it because of the spells, I promise... thats actually the one thing that is kind of bugging me about it, though. I like everything else that I've read. I'm just not so sure about spells, maybe its just my lack of faith, if you know what I mean.

Feb 25, 2013, 02:38 PM
    Ugh, okay so my last post didn't show up, maybe it will later, but Im going to try again... like I said, I'm not so sure about the spells, that's what worries me the most. Also, I wasn't trying to sa that Christianity made me skeptical, I should have clarified. I meant that how I was raised by my parents and things that have happened in my past have made me skeptical of everything, not just things pertaining to religion. So hauntinghelper, Let me ask you what you think. Is it right?

Feb 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RikkiJade View Post
    So hauntinghelper, Let me ask you what you think. Is it right?
    Easier said than done. If you're in a place where you don't know what you believe exactly... me saying what the Bible says might not have much of an impact on you. I am a Christian and all the advice I give on this website... especailly pertaining to spiritual matters... is that of a Biblical worldview.

Biblically, as God has revealed His will to mankind... very easily I can answer NO, it's not right. In fact, every bit of it is forbidden. Again, if you don't consider yourself a Christian... then that shouldn't bother you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 03:01 PM
    I too am Christian, but always like to learn more about things, especially things that seem to be in opposition to what I think or believe (i.e. "know your enemy"). In a quick online search, I discovered that Wicca --

- is based on harmony with nature
    - is considered to be a positive and uplifting inner experience
    - recognizes that life is an expression of the divine spirit within
    - sees wisdom as interacting with everything and everyone
    - encourages humility by not boasting to others about the works they do, instead allowing their works to speak for themselves
    - is known for the individuals being respectful and considerate to others
    - teaches compassion and how to show kindness to their fellow man and other creatures
    - teaches self discipline to be more tolerant with others and in situations that come up
    - teaches the art of taking the time to think before acting

If someone had showed me that list without telling me it was about Wicca, I would have guessed it was about Christianity and how Christians should behave.

Feb 25, 2013, 03:11 PM
    And it is a good point I would like to drive home. Just because I disagree with the theological implications of another belief... I am in no way trying to say they are "bad" people. Some of the nicest and most welcoming people I have ever met were Wiccans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to know more about Wicca? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 12 and I want to be a Wiccan/witch. I won't make any final decisions though until I know lots about it. I read stuff on the Internet last night, but I didn't know what some words were or meant. If you are Wiccan, could you give me a short simple answer that I can understand? And, also, if you...

Wicca, what is it truly about. [ 8 Answers ]

I'm curious. I'd like to know what Wicca is more about. I read that Wiccans are all about the good. And how they harm none. It sounds very fascinating and I hope someone can explain more about it to me. And the difference with pagans?

Wicca ritual [ 2 Answers ]

I'm allergic to incense. What can I use in a ritual instead?

The occult/wicca [ 4 Answers ]

I was see on a t.v. show a haunting and she was study wicca she had spriet like the soda my spelling is not to good. They are little balls of light,what are they can any one tell me what they are. I do not study that I'm just wanted to know cause they did not explain it on t.v.

View more questions Search