Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristo Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Mar 19, 2007, 08:51 AM
    A word proble m
    Here it is:
    Two persons started moving towards the other town at the same time, when they met, one person had walked 6 kilometers more than other person. After meeting they continued walking towards the other town at the same speed, first person arrived at the town 4 hours after meeting, second person 9 hours after meeting.

Hope you understood it.

That's what I got, I'm sure it's wrong, but I couldn't think of any other way to do it since there are 2 different speeds.
    So yeah, help please
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Mar 19, 2007, 09:39 AM
    I was going to assume that they both started at the same town but they can't if they meet after different walking distances. Is there another sentence that goes before what you wrote that helps define the problem?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Yeah I'm certain you haven't given enough info, I don't really understand it.

Mar 19, 2007, 11:33 AM
    No, they are starting from different towns, person A from town A is going to town B and person B from town B going to town A, they meet on the way.
    So person A arrived at town B 4 hours after meeting and person B arrived at town A 9 hours after meeting.
    Sorry for my English lol, hope you understand it now.

Mar 20, 2007, 03:29 AM
    I think I solved it..

Which solves for s=12, v1=2, v2=3
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 03:40 AM
    S being the distance between the two towns? So 12km? So they must meet at 3km along the line for the first case to be true. This doesn't make sense for the speeds you defined, as one has walked 9 km and the other 3km in the same time

Or am I missing something?

Mar 20, 2007, 04:38 AM
    S being the distance person A walked until meeting.
    The distance between town A and B is s + s + 6 which is 30km.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 04:44 AM
    Okay that makes sense then :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lotus word to Microsoft word [ 2 Answers ]

My articles are saved in lotus word format. Can I opened it under Microsoft word or " open office" software? If yes, how do I go about it?

His Word [ 3 Answers ]

First, please forgive the length of this post. I do not wish to "attack" or offend anyone. Rather this is a plea for accuracy and consideration to Him who is the Creator. When one takes time to study The Bible in several of it's translations, and particularly in it's original languages of...

MS Word - multiple instances of the same word? [ 1 Answers ]

In MS Word, is there a way to highlight a section of text and get some sort of read on which words appear the most often? Thanks Paul

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

View more questions Search