Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Mar 19, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Potty training my son
    HELP! I have a son who will be three years old in 3 months. He has expressed zero interest in potty training. I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried putting him in underwear all day so he can feel the wetness, tried the little potty, the big potty, tried putting cereal in the toilet for him to "sink", tried rewards. I am out of ideas. I have to sign him up for preschool very soon, but he can't go if he isn't toilet trained. My daughter was completely trained just after she turned 2. Any suggestions? Anyone else find it more difficult with a boy than a girl?
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

Mar 19, 2007, 08:42 AM
    I am getting ready to potty train my son. I bought him this video about a little boy named Josh and how he gets a potty,. my son seems to really like it. Before the video he seemed to have no intrests and now he is starting to. You can buy the video at Toys R us for about 15.00. Also don't push the potty... or he will grow to resent the potty. You can also try lettting him walk around naked, and get the feel of his body... when he pees in the tub does he give you a reaction?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 19, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Buys are often more difficult than girls, my son was much harder than my daughter was. Have you tried loo balls? They are little plastic ping pong balls coloured with faces and things, that are designed for the kids to wee on in the toilet, my son loved them, it made wee time fun time.
    I would get rid of the potty, just try him on the toilet. Be persisitent, don't put him in nappies/diapers boys can be really lazy if you let them!

Good luck!

Mar 19, 2007, 08:45 AM
    I will definitely look for that movie. My son's name is Josh! He does react when he pees, he knows what it is. He even removes his own pull up or underpants if he wets them. He just refuses to use the toilet, even if I ask if he needs to go. I haven't been pushing hard, just trying to encourage him. I've taken criticism from all the 'expert' moms who think he should be trained by now.
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

Mar 19, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vlee
    I will definitely look for that movie. My son's name is Josh! He does react when he pees, he knows what it is. He even removes his own pull up or underpants if he wets them. he just refuses to use the toilet, even if I ask if he needs to go. I haven't been pushing hard, just trying to encourage him. i've taken criticism from all the 'expert' moms who think he should be trained by now.
    Don't let the other moms make you feel bad. He will use the potty when he is good and ready. Maybe the potty scares him. Is the father in the picture? Let your son watch his father use the bathroom... that will peak his intrests. The movie has josh and they show josh and all the things that josh's body parts do. Then they show his penis and butthole and explain what that does. I think its would be good for him to... plus it's a cartoon. If you need anymore help I am here just let me know. GOOD LUCK:)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 09:10 AM
    My son was 3 years and 1 month. Preschool was 4 weeks away. We simply took away diapers and pullups (except at night) and lived with the messes. It took three weeks. I really was getting tired of cleaning messes and running through bleach. Yuck. And yuck.

Sounds like you've tried this... but my agreement with my wife was to not turn back. Once we started we were committed to staying there. And it worked out.

Somewhere around 3-4 weeks in he started going to the bathroom on his own. We still prompted him by asking is he needed to. And he had a little chant "daddy daddy potty potty" that hed sometimes do... but more often it was a desperate sprint to the bathroom.

When we sent him to pre-k I wasn't sure he really was trained. Hed just had a week and change without big accidents. Thankfully there have been no "big" messes. He's had a change of pant on occasion. Also, he's in half day, so I think that helped him adjust. I think full day might have been too much of a change.

And our daughter was trained earlier and much easier. Once she learned that she had a choice to not be wet, she was done just like that.

Try not to let the other mothers get to you. I know its not easy. Different kids are different, period. Ability to do something doesn't mean ready.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 19, 2007, 11:38 AM
    What you have tried have been all good and some of the advice here is good too, buI agree, they will be ready when they are ready. My boys were in pull ups until about 2 1/2. My daugther 1.2 years.

Mar 19, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Thank you all for the great advice. I appreciate your help.
    zelda Posts: 83, Reputation: 0

Mar 31, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vlee
    HELP! I have a son who will be three years old in 3 mos. He has expressed zero interest in potty training. I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried putting him in underwear all day so he can feel the wetness, tried the little potty, the big potty, tried putting cereal in the toilet for him to "sink", tried rewards. I am out of ideas. I have to sign him up for preschool very soon, but he can't go if he isn't toilet trained. My daughter was completely trained just after she turned 2. Any suggestions? Anyone else find it more difficult with a boy than a girl?
    I had a friend who has a son who is almost 5 and still poops himself.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 3, 2007, 11:51 AM
    I have read that three is a good age to start potty training a little boy. I'd give the subject a rest for a few weeks - you are too caught up in it. I think preschools that are not tolerant of 3 year olds who are not fully potty trained have unrealistic expectations - I'd look further for one that can accommodate your son - they are there to care for him, not to set demands he is not mature enough to meet.

That said, after dropping it for a few weeks, reintroduce the subject as something "three year olds" do. Let him know, "wow, this is the last pack of diapers Mommy needs to buy because three year olds where underpants". Don't let it be the be all end all of everything - keep some perspective.

Rubber pants to wear over the underpants are a godsend to save your stuff. I bought my son the cloth training pants that feel wet and uncomfortable and had him wear rubber pants over them. Pullups are just like diapers and I don't think they are helpful - they are also very expensive.

I think that there can be too much hype around potty training and the hysteria makes the kids nervous. Also, some kids don't like the idea of being a big kid - it's too much pressure. Some simple rewards like a piece of candy each time he goes in the potty, and a sticker if he keeps his pants dry all day, are fine. Nighttime training will take longer - just focus on when he's awake for now and use pullups at night.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2007, 12:20 PM
    We used hot wheels cars. You can get them for like 50 cents at the store. We kept a chart and if he went to the potty every day, at the end of the week he got to pick out a car... I thought bribing would be bad at first, but my doctor assured me it was OK. We potty trained our son in 4 months once he turned 3, and then once the cars were gone, it wasn't even an issue, he was just so excited about picking out his big boy underwear.

Apr 4, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Again, thanks all! I have not found a preschool willing to do diaper duty at all, but I did find one that accepts occasional accidents, and is willing to give me until one month before the start of classes to withdraw my son. He is doing a little better, and I think he will be ready in time.

Apr 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Just a quick update... out of nowhere my son started using the potty! He has worn big boy pants for four days! No accidents after the first day! We have taken him out to eat and shop and play, and he is doing great! Thank you for all of your advice and efforts to help.
    laurieb74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 07:10 PM
    I feel your pain. My son is 5 and 3 months and he poops and pees in his pants on a daily basis and doesn't care. We have been able to rule out any medical issues, now we are checking on the psychological side. He will hold his hand behind him to catch the poop and keep doing whatever he is doing. Until I catch him, he will stay like that. If he does try to take care of it himself he will decorate the bathroom. He has no remorse. I have tried EVERYTHING. My older son was trained by 2 1/2. I have even gotten advice from Nanny Stella from Nanny 911. That was the "chart and potty dance". It failed!:mad:
    Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but you are not alone with this struggle.
    Good luck:confused:
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 29, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lacuran8626
    I think preschools that are not tolerant of 3 year olds who are not fully potty trained have unrealistic expectations - I'd look further for one that can accomodate your son - they are there to care for him, not to set demands he is not mature enough to meet.
    I agree to some extent. My Fiancé and his little brother were potty trained at 15 and 16 months. And I know all kids are VERY different. 3 is normal but once a child is 4 they should be totally trained :)

Also ALL the preschools in my area require children to be potty trained. I have taught at them and believe me if a preschool child is still in diapers it is HARD to take that child to another room to a changing table. And changing tables get in the way in a preschool class room. But I do agree that they should allow children that are still learning and wearing pull ups!
    beebop Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2007, 01:37 AM
    My son was almost three when he potty trained. He watched whatever the Elmo potty video was maybe 10-15 times and then just sat down and peed one day. Very few accidents in the following weeks. It was a miracle.
    I obviously don't expect that to happen for everyone, but you could try that video out and see. It isn't a very annoying video.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 10 Answers ]

My son is almost 3 and we have been potty training for about a year when he is with his father or his grandparents he will potty on the toilet no problem but when he is with me he won't. Sometimes when I put him on the toilet he will go but other times he won't or he will throw a fit and then he...

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty Training [ 2 Answers ]

My female miniature daschund has been with me for 1 month. My mom think scolding her and spanking her is how you train a dog. Whenever she comes in the house she eventually pees or poops if we don't get her outside imeditly. She is always desperate to find a way inside the house or she begs at the...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I got my miniature dashun in the winter. When I got home the dog did have some accidents on the carpet then we tried bringing her outside and she would do her bussines outside sometimes. Then when it got really cold she stopped and we got the puppy training pads. Until now she knew that she had to...

View more questions Search