Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2013, 09:59 AM
    Tiny tiny tiny bug on bathroom
    So just bought a new house. The master bathroom is a tub only which is very clean so I do use/enjoy it. Moved in the seventh of this month and as of yesterday noticed tiny tiny tiny black dots near my sink. I wipe them away thinking its dirt. Then later do it again and realize they are actually moving!

Yes, they are soooo small you have to look real close to see them moving.

The only body part I can really see is what looks like two antennas. They make a seed pop when smashed and a smokey black grey color is released.

I am a pretty good net surfer and have seen what everyone describes them to be from other people's questions about tiny bugs but these do not resemble the seed tick or spring tail.

I will see the same description as I have described by people asking the same question on net and people will come back with these answers above and to me is truly not this bug!

THe longer slender type of body of springtail does not match this body which seems rounder from what I can tell again, they are tinier than a pin point. Smaller than a spec of dirt.

I know. I know. Call the exterminator. Well it's Sunday and I would just maybe like a species name and some home remedy, please

Thanks in advance.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Do they look about this size?
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Do they look about this size?
    I believe they are smaller :(. Brownish and the smaller ones are gray.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2013, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by southerngalps View Post
    I believe they are smaller :(. Brownish in color and the smaller ones are gray.
    But they are round like that.
    A lot of pretty wood work in the bathroom. The tub is surrounded by it. I mentioned the tub because maybe the previous owners didn't use it as much as me?
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 10:34 AM
    But they are round like that.
    A lot of pretty wood work in the bathroom. The tub is surrounded by it. I mentioned the tub because maybe the previous owners didn't use it as much as me?
    Any plants? That would be my first suspect as a source. Second would be a potpourri or wicker/bamboo furnishings. Tapping a leaf over a sheet of white paper can confirm the source if bugs fall off.

These are likely a species of spider mites. An exterminator will be of limited help unless he/she has a chance to research them ahead of time.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2013, 10:45 AM
    There are different types of plants outside. The landscapeing was professionally done.

I originally said found them by the sink but I found them in the woodwork to the right of the sink. There's and old fashioned flat drawer like thing you can pull out over the sink( I guess used to set lady's makeup down on)

Would like to take a pic but I do not see an attachment option on this mobile site.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2013, 11:00 AM
    What is the bug you sent a pic of next to penny? I took a picture with my phone and zoomed in. I am amazed that I Can make it out more.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 01:05 PM
    What is the bug you sent a pic of next to penny? I took a picture with my phone and zoomed in. I am amazed that I Can make it out more.
    It's a pic of a spider mite. Here's a larger one.
    Attached Images

Pest Control Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 01:09 PM
    There are different types of plants outside. The landscapeing was professionally done.

I originally said found them by the sink but I found them in the woodwork to the right of the sink. There's and old fashioned flat drawer like thing you can pull out over the sink( I guess used to set lady's makeup down on)

Would like to take a pic but I do not see an attachment option on this mobile site.
    How tightly does the window fit into the frame? They could be coming in around that.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2013, 06:21 PM
    I just read something on the net that might make sense. She had an issue with small bugs in bathroom because of wicker basket. I actually do have a wicker basket in one of the wooden cubby holes above bath that are next to the sink and that flat drawers is made into the cubby holes. Does that help?
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 06:41 PM
    They could indeed be spider mites. Check out this link, it's fairly complete.

Spider Mite Control
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
    Thanks for your help. Exterminator came in today and had never seen these before and they were too small of course to get any more info about them. A microscope revealed they are spiny rat mites. Yuck. Believes a rat might have gotten under tub/house to get away from a lot of rain we've been having.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 03:19 PM
    Thanks for your help. Exterminator came in today and had never seen these before and they were too small of course to get any more info about them. A microscope revealed they are spiny rat mites. Yuck. Believes a rat might have gotten under tub/house to get away from a lot of rain we've been having.
    S/He probably mentioned sealing the ducts into the holes cut for them. Was caulking around the base of the toilet mentioned? That's often overlooked when trying to keep pests out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny black bug on penis? [ 2 Answers ]

I was urinating during the night and noticed a small black spot on my penis, I picked it off after much trouble and noticed it was a bug of some sort and it had been biting me. After I got rid of it I checked myself and there were no more but there was a small pink line where it had bitten.

I have a bug in my bathroom that looks like a tiny beetle what is it ? [ 2 Answers ]

These things look like a beetle that's no bigger then a tick and there black and hard

Tiny White Bug [ 3 Answers ]

It all started when a partner who I had been sexually active with in the past told me that I might have crabs. I treated with lice shampoo and tea tree oil though I didn't feel itchy at all. Within a few months an itchy rash on my chest developed. I didn't think much of it at the time and just kind...

Tiny bugs, look like a tiny brain [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, It is that time of year again and those brain bugs are back. They fly, are kind of grey and don't seem to do much. They are around my bay windows and other sills, one on a wall here and there but not as much as the Bay. I was told once they might be sill bugs. Have no idea where they come...

View more questions Search