Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oyvei Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
    How can I tell if my gums are healing normally after a tooth extraction?
    I had a non-wisdom tooth extracted this past Tuesday, Feb 19. It is now February 24. It's been approximately 5 days. I checked out my extraction site yesterday and I don't see any pink gums yet. It's still a maroon red color -- perhaps it's the blood clot? Should I be seeing some pink gums by now? I'm not experiencing any pain at my extraction sites, so I take that as a good sign that I might / will not have dry socket. (Although, my dentist said I'd should be out of the woods for a dry socket after a week.) I just want to ensure that this healing process will go by smoothly.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 24, 2013, 09:01 AM
    Surely you were given explicit instructions about salt water rinses several times a day, and gently brushing the gum to remove any debris, dead tissue, and to stimulate new gum growth?
    Yes, no or little pain is a good sign.
    We can't see the red area so don't know exactly what it is.

Feb 24, 2013, 10:24 AM
    First, thank you so much for responding. Secondly, yes I did receive post-op instructions, which I have been following to a T. For example, salt water rinses 2-3 times a day -- I'm actually rinsing after every meal, even after snacking on fruit. No sucking through a straw for a week, smoking or drinking alcoholic or carbonated beverages. I don't actually smoke or drink alcohol or soda so if anything bad were to happen, I would have no idea what the cause of it would be.

After taking a closer look at my extraction sites, I do see very tiny white bits peaking out... it's not like a white coating or anything; I'm too scared to feel out what it is though. (Don't want to remove or dislodge anything.) :L

Additionally, I should add that at one of my extraction sites they put in some kind of collagen (plug) -- my dentist said that it could be removed if it started to bother me. But the very idea sounds rather daunting! It's a really weird squishy material. Would you happen to know anything about this? (Should I start a different thread for this? I am new here.)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 24, 2013, 10:38 AM
    I never had a collagen plug. Many years ago (and some still these days) I had stitches. Newer theory is to leave it open. Faster healing, I guess, but not everyone will get food out by sucking when they rinse and really swirling the water around. Hence a resorbable plug, which dissolves in about 10 - 14 days. Or take it out if you want. Gums are tougher than we like to think.
    Answering in one thread is the right way.

Feb 24, 2013, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I never had a collagen plug. Many years ago (and some still these days) I had stitches. Newer theory is to leave it open. Faster healing, I guess, but not everyone will get food out by sucking when they rinse and really swirling the water around. Hence a resorbable plug, which dissolves in about 10 - 14 days. Or take it out if you want. Gums are tougher than we like to think.
    Answering in one thread is the right way.
    Thank you! That was very helpful. I can't take pictures of my gums -- the angles are all off, and there's no one here to take them for me at the moment -- so I'm not sure if I'm healing normally or not, but I'm just going to take it one day at a time and if anything changes I'll definitely get in touch with my dentist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gums coming loose after extraction [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a moler removed followed by a bone graft last Tuesday . The dentist stitched me up after the procedure and I was to have the sutchers removed 10 days after. Anyway, my sutchers have all come out on their own. I phoned the dentist and she said that was okay. I have a problem with the...

Healing Supplements after extraction [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, I have just had all my teeth extracted and wanted to know what are the best vitamins and/or supplements to promote healing? Please be specific. Thanks in advance

Dry Gums at site of extraction [ 2 Answers ]

I had my top left moulers extracted (root canals gone bad) about a two months ago. They also put in freeze dried bone, and sutured the area. I went back about two weeks later and the sutures were removed and they said it was healing perfectly. Now a few months later I am having a dry sensation...

Knot on my gums after tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

I went to the dentist last Tuesday had my left bottom molar pulled. My jaw bone (I though) was still killing me on Thursday & I went back to the dentist that afternoon to make sure I didn't have dry socket, he said it was heeling fine & looked great, Friday afternoon I noticed a knot on the outside...

View more questions Search