Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

Mar 19, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Loud/neighbors in Apartment!
    My nieghbors in our apartment are so loud, and keep us up all night. Like last night my nieghbors had a huge party... where there was underaged drinking involved. They were outside yelling and screaming at each other, my husband went down there to ask them to be quite but they wouldn't listen and were loud until 3 am. I get up to go to college at 5 am in the morning. Not only that but they wake up our son. I am SO SICK of it. I have called the cops and they don't do anything about it. I have called our landlord,but he dossen't do anything about it. It is a contional thing..,. what can I do? Also they call the landlords on us for the littliest things... an example is my son was crying one night because he was sick... the next day we get a call telling us that if we are loud again we will get evicted... is this fair at all?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 19, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Its not fair, but neighbours suck sometimes. My neighbours are loud, music until all hours, and over the summer they smoke so much pot in their garden I have to shut my kids bedroom windows as they get high of I don't. Police won't do a thing about it. I am moving at the end of the month.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Mar 19, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Sadly, some people are just ignorant. I had neighbor's like that before. In the end, I moved as well. But I was a jerk in return first. I blasted a Barney CD that my kids had on repeat for 6 hours while I was out one day. I know it didn't resolve anything, and was pretty immature, but that didn't stop me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Excuse me? You complain to the landlord about an all night party with underage drinking and he doesn't do anything but if your baby cries the landlord threatens you with eviction?

When does your lease expire?

I'm also surpised the police did nothing if there was underage drinking. There was a news story this morning about a party that was raided because of underage drinking.

You may have to go higher in the police force to get action.

Mar 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Well I live in a small town... and the police are friends with the minors so heaven forbid they jeperdize that. I live in a low income apartment right now... getting an education to get out on my own... but yeah they complain all the time. If its in the middle of the day and my son is running around or playing with a loud noise... they complain. They always have underage drinking there... and they have their nine month in the house also.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Mar 19, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Go to the police station in your pj's the next time the police don't resolve the issue. Demand to speak to the highest ranking officer on duty. Threaten to expose the officers repeated actions of turning a blind eye when they know minors are drinking. Take it to the local news. I know where I LIVE THE NEWS STATIONS LOVE IT IF YOU MAKE A COMPLAINT ABOUT something you have tried honestly to have resolved. They begin an investigation and report on it nightly. It really has gotten a lot done around here that otherwise would have gone unnoticed. No one wants to be scrutinized for doing a poor job, especially the police! (sorry about the CAPS above... I always hit that darn key!)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2007, 04:59 PM
    I agree with vlee. If the police are siding with these people and allowing underage drinking you need to go uo a level. Contact the state police or the state attorney general. Threaten to go to the press.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Contacting the ACLU about your rights as a tenant are being continually violated. If the police are not going to do anything. If your landlord is not doing anything. But document all this - days and times and activities and actions you did and what you were told and BY WHOM. Put it all down and send it to as many entities as you can think of - newspapers, housing authority (since this is a low income place), the fair housing council ( who loves to sue landlords for this kind of thing), and the ACLU. As much as I really do not like the ACLU, they are good for something once in awhile. Claim harassment, discrimination, favoritism, being denied your due process and the continued violations of the noise ordinances and under age drinking. You could also file a complaint with HUD.
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 19, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Well if management won't do nothing.. and this I know works so good.. wait till they trying to sleep put speaker on full blast right up against wall or ceiling watch how they learn real fast to stop the racket.

Mar 19, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Thank you all for your suggestions... I am going to do something about this. Believe me.
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Mar 19, 2007, 07:25 PM
    I know what your going through, I dislike living next to a bunch of loud, drunk and childish 22yr old's. My fiancé and I are 20 but we don't act that way (childish). The guy downstair's has friend's over and partie's all the time. He listen's to loud music. He's told us that if it's too loud we can turn our's up or tell him to turn it down. But the main problem is that they get drunk and hang outside late at night. I can hear them and it's quite anoying. My fiancé woln't do anything because he doesn't think it's a problem. However I think he's just afraid to start conflict. Now just last night at 12 someone rung the door bell. It was one of the guy's friend's and he was VERY drunk slurring and stuff. That was very odd and I didn't like it. I'm not sure what to do. I mean these people are childish. They are grown men and women acting like children. Yelling and screaming and playing around. Sure fun's great but this is anoying. Like I said my fiancé thinks I should ignore it, but why should I? Drunks should stay inside, not go outside. I have a huge problem with people drinking to get drunk. Try to call 911 or tell them to stop.

Mar 19, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Yeah I feel the same way... plus there are little children around when they are cussing and yelling. Also we unilike them have to get up with our children in the morining. They just sleep and let the baby cry. I am so sick of people being so rude and disrespectful.
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Mar 19, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Yea I'm starting to realize that people are mostly rude. That's something I just can't dela with.

Mar 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Me either it really annoys me... exspecailly when it effects my son.. and my sleep... and I am not a very nice person when I don't get enough sleep... that is why my husband gets up with the baby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbors smoke coming into my apartment [ 4 Answers ]

We live in a small house divided into two units. A new neighbor has just moved in the other unit. He smokes cigarettes. The first night he stayed there the cigarette smoke was so bad I couldn't put my seven year old to bed until I turned a fan on and tried to get some fresh air in the bedroom. The...

Noisy apartment neighbors [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a downstairs apartment and have a problem with the people upstairs moving furniture in the middle of the night,slamming doors, and running up and down the stairs. I would love to give them apartment manners 101 but they called me a c**t the last time I politely ask them to stop stomping...

Neighbors [ 20 Answers ]

We have had some fun and some sad stories about our next door neighbors Would everyone like to share some of theirs with us. ** today I was getting ready for our winter weather, I got my generator out and get it started, well in about 30 min my next door neighbor got his out and started...

My new neighbors [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbors have had a street light instulled and lights up my entire front yard and half of my home.. it is very disturbing to me and the way I was used to living how can I take care of the new and very annoying problem?

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search