Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbeys_momma 06 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2013, 09:44 PM
    Step parent adoption
    My 6 year old daughters biological father has not contacted me to see my daughter since June of 2008, I received 2 child support payments in 2010 (before those payments the last payment was in early 2008). My husband and I have been together since she was a year old (she refers to him as daddy). She knows about her biological father, I stay in close contact with the mother of her half sisters and they get to see each other often. I even stay in contact with her biological grandmother and aunt and take her to visit them. How likely is it that the court would grant adoption without the biological fathers consent? He wants nothing to do with her, however, he would not willingly give up his rights for my husband to adopt her.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 10:16 PM
    The court will not grant adoption without the father's consent.

If he won't willingly give up his rights, it might be best that you let him know that he will be off the hook for future child support should he sign off. He will be responsible for back support if it is ordered though.

Feb 23, 2013, 10:27 PM
    So there is no way that the court would grant the adoption without his consent even when he has not had any contact with her in nearly 5 years (his choice not mine... I've kept the same contact number this whole time), and is well over $10k behind in support? He has three older daughters whom he has regular contact and visits with. I do not want ANY of his money, I just want him legally out of her life since he has chosen to be physically out of it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 10:33 PM
    You received support payments in 2010. That's enough for the court.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 10:50 PM
    How likely is it that the court would grant adoption without the biological fathers consent? He wants nothing to do with her, however, he would not willingly give up his rights for my husband to adopt her.
    Then try to terminate his parental rights.After that his consent will not be required.

Feb 23, 2013, 10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You received support payments in 2010. That's enough for the court.
    $88 in 5 years is enough for the court? I knew there was a reason I have no faith in our legal system. Thanks for your answers :)
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 10:58 PM
    $88 in 5 years is enough for the court? I knew there was a reason I have no faith in our legal system. Thanks for your answers
    No, it is not enough for the court.The laws vary from state to state but non-support of a child is a ground for termination of parental rights and even is seen as crime n Georgia
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 11:52 PM
    You need to be putting pressure on him for money, seen if you can get criminal charges, see if you can get drivers license taken away ( every US state has different laws on it)

But no, unless he agrees, it is very doubtful the court will allow it.

He is much more willing to sign if his life is bothered by being forced to pay
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    The court will not grant adoption without the father's consent. ...
    Incorrect. That is not a general rule.

What state or country are we talking about?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2013, 07:50 AM
    Courts are generally charged with ruling on the best interests of the child. So its not impossible that they won't grant one. You need to consult a local attorney who can advise you about the local courts and help you prepare a case. It won't be easy to override a father's rights but it is possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step Parent Adoption with unknown whereabouts of non-custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has been in my son's life since he was 3 months old (he is going to be 5 in November- born in 2007). My son's biological father was non-existent in his life until Jan 2011. He was in a relationship and I thought he had pulled his life together although he had not contacted me since our...

Step parent adoption in FL. Biological parent incarcerated and abandond [ 8 Answers ]

In Florida, trying to figure out how to go about having my husband (married 4 years) now adopt my two boys from a previous relationship (never married). We just found out that their biological dad is currently in prison in Oklahoma. He has been living in Oklahoma since 2008 (it is now almost 2012)...

When parent fails to maintain contact and support to child. Step parent adoption [ 3 Answers ]

My husband got sole custody of his son at 7 months because at 1 month old his biological mother spiral fractured his left femur and he 2 years old now. Im his step mother and his primary caregiver. I love him more than anything in the world like he was my own child and he calls me mom. I want to...

Step Parent Adoption/Possible with one absent parent Kansas [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Kansas and I am soon to be the mother of a baby girl, however my significant other is not the biological father of my child, I need to know what steps to take to make it possible for him to be her father. My situation is this: I got pregnant one night by a man that I knew little or...

Absent parent contesting step-parent adoption [ 11 Answers ]

My husband is attempting to adopt my daughter (age 11), he has been her dad now for about 9 years. The biological father has not seen his child since she was 5 months old and never paid child support. I have a child support order and a permanent restraining order which was granted in Kansas, 1997....

View more questions Search