Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2013, 06:46 AM
    Can I sell a house if a family member is still there - Michigan
    A family member is living in my home, which I must sell. They won't move until the place is sold and say they will make the new owners evict them. Can I even sell the house with the person living there? This is in Michigan. It's a private sale to a different family member - I need the money to get out of debt. Do I have to evict the family member first?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 07:07 AM
    At closing the buyer will rightfully expect to be able to move in. If your unwanted houseguest fails to move at that time, you and your guest would be sued for eviction. If I were the judge I would award costs and attorney fees (if, as is usual, they are provided for in the purchase contract) which you would have to pay.

You should evict (i.e.: give her/him the required notice and then sue) him or her now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2013, 08:40 AM
    It depends. Certainly you can sell the property. However, your buyer may decide not to buy if he has to go through the hassle of an eviction. So you should do the eviction first.

Feb 23, 2013, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    At closing the buyer will rightfully expect to be able to move in. If your unwanted houseguest fails to move at that time, you and your guest would be sued for eviction. If I were the judge I would award costs and attorney fees (if, as is usual, they are provided for in the purchase contract) which you would have to pay.

You should evict (i.e.: give her/him the required notice and then sue) him or her now.
    This is what I expected. The buyers don't know the person isn't planning on being moved at closing of the sale - I just found this out. I would expect to have it held against me, as the previous owner for not disclosing this, too. Thanks for your help. Have to try to get them to see reason.

Feb 23, 2013, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    It depends. Certainly you can sell the property. However, your buyer may decide not to buy if he has to go through the hassle of an eviction. So you should do the eviction first.
    Thanks for the helpful answer. I didn't expect this problem. It might be easy to solve if I could just get people to talk to each other.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 23, 2013, 11:00 AM
    You could try the 'cash for keys' approach that people who have to foreclose or move back into their own houses use - they bribe.
    You and the relative who is buying can pool some amount to negotiate with. Your logic is very simple: take what we offer you now, or get evicted a short time later and get nothing.
    Have the eviction papers and process needed from your local or county courthouse so that you can follow through, and be prepared to do so, because some people won't budge for anything, and have to be removed by the sheriff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling an old house that was given to me by a family member. [ 3 Answers ]

My Mother gave me an old house she had that she no longer lived in, she was using it for storage and decided to give it to me so that I could fix it up and live in it. The house isn't in the best shape, it needs a lot of work and needs new appliances. I do not want the house anymore, but have no...

Can I evict family member from his house [ 5 Answers ]

My father has build a two room house in my uncle's yard and we stayed in the yard for seven years but now he want kick us out without paying all the expenses of building the house. What can we do to make him pay all the expenses

Put family member out of house [ 2 Answers ]

We want to put our son out. He is 24, pays no rent, doesn't follow our rules, disrespectful, and curses us all the time. He has recently hit his father and has threatened to hit me. Can we put him out with out getting or giving him a eviction notice. We live in Va.

Family member won't leave fathers home that we need to sell [ 7 Answers ]

My fathers' nephew has been allowed to live in my fathers home when my father was well enough to care for himself and afford to maintain his own home; the nephew has never had a lease written or verbal nor has he paid anything. Now that I have moved my father into my home to care for him, my...

Asking family member to move out of my house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I live in the Bay Area, California and need to get my wife's over 18 year old son out of my house. He has never paid rent or helped out with anything. I need to sell the home and thus he needs to leave. He cannot go where I am moving to. Since he is a Lodger? can't I just tell him to...

View more questions Search