Ask
    XinXin Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 08:53 PM
    Hipsturbia means..
    What this word means?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 08:55 PM
    It's not a word. At least not in English.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 08:56 PM
    Where did you read it? In what context?

It's a new, made-up word. Please Google it.

Feb 22, 2013, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Where did you read it? in what context?

It's a new, made-up word. Please Google it.
    "creating hipsturbia" which is an article.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:00 PM
    It's a new word for the phenomenon of hip people leaving Brooklyn, New York and populating new areas with their vegan, Bohemian, gluten-free lifestyles.
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XinXin View Post
    "creating hipsturbia" which is an article.
    Google it. It's a made up word, but there is info on it online. In the dictionary, no. It's not a real word, just something people are using.
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    It's a new word for the phenomenon of hip people leaving Brooklyn, New York and populating new areas with their vegan, Bohemian, gluten-free lifestyles.
    Sad. A new word, but not worthy of the dictionary, at least as far as I could find.

Then again, OMG, and other text abbreviations are now considered "words" in our culture. What's happened to the English language? :(
    Education Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Sad. A new word, but not worthy of the dictionary, at least as far as I could find.

Then again, OMG, and other text abbreviations are now considered "words" in our culture. What's happened to the English language? :(
    It's one writer's made-up word. Probably won't last long since it's limited to an area of New York, but you never know! Have you read the children's book, "Frindle" by Andrew Clements?

Feb 22, 2013, 09:08 PM
    Thanks, does the follow sentence related name-dropping: "hasting-on-hudson is a village, in a Wittgensteinian sort of way" ?
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:09 PM
    thanks, does the follow sentence related name-dropping: "hasting-on-hudson is a village, in a Wittgensteinian sort of way" ?
    Huh?
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:10 PM
    It's one writer's made-up word. Probably won't last long since it's limited to an area of New York, but you never know! Have you read the children's book, "Frindle" by Andrew Clements?
    I haven't. Maybe I should.

So, when I'm published I can make up my own words? Cool! I think that dingledorf should be a word. The definition is a child or animal that doesn't listen, and acts silly. :)

Feb 22, 2013, 09:11 PM
    Huh?
    ^.^
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
    ^.^
    And that means?

Seriously, write so that you're understood. Otherwise why bother posting?
    Education Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
    thanks, does the follow sentence related name-dropping: "hasting-on-hudson is a village, in a Wittgensteinian sort of way" ?
    That is from a New York Times article. It is comparing a New York City where these people are moving to a philosopher.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:15 PM
    I guess that would make sense in light of this: Wittgenstein used the term "language-game" to designate forms of language simpler than the entirety of a language itself, "consisting of language and the actions into which it is woven." (Wikipedia) For him, language was very fluid.
    Education Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:15 PM
    I haven't. Maybe I should.

So, when I'm published I can make up my own words? Cool! I think that dingledorf should be a word. The definition is a child or animal that doesn't listen, and acts silly. :)
    It's a cute book about a boy who makes up a new name for a pen, calling it a Frindle, and how it spreads like wildfire. Great book for a 4th grader! I'll go into my shed and find my copies.
    Education Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I guess that would make sense in light of this: Wittgenstein used the term "language-game" to designate forms of language simpler than the entirety of a language itself, "consisting of language and the actions into which it is woven." (Wikipedia) For him, language was very fluid.
    Thanks! I wasn't seeing it the same way, but yours is much better!!
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:17 PM
    It's a cute book about a boy who makes up a new name for a pen, calling it a Frindle, and how it spreads like wildfire. Great book for a 4th grader! I'll go into my shed and find my copies.
    Sounds great. My daughter would probably like it, even though she's no longer in the 4th grade. She's so advanced now. ;)

Feb 22, 2013, 09:19 PM
    And that means?

Seriously, write so that you're understood. Otherwise why bother posting?
    Can write more?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 09:21 PM
    From the online Urban Dictionary --

A dingledorf is someone of supposed average intelligence, but makes incredibly brainless misjudgments. They are the kind of people that even the Pope could strangle with his bare hands. They make you grab you head and scream for murder. They will test you to your limits of humanity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can u please tell me what it means [ 0 Answers ]

Hi my name is Brittany me an my boyfriend had unprotected sex last month An my period came I started spotting an than it went anyway for a day than it came It was every light the 2nd day on it I started vomiting 3 times in one night I had bad allergies at the time... 4th day I vomiting again in...

Not sure what this means. [ 2 Answers ]

I had my period on jan. 4th and it ended on jan. 9th. My cycle is always 28 days and I am always on time every month. But today is jan. 22nd and for the past two days I have been spotting a really lite pink on and off. I have never experienced this before and I was just wondering what anyone...

Can Anyone Tell Me What This Means ? [ 9 Answers ]

10815 Hello I just wanted to know if anyone knows what this means?! and thanks for anyone who's going to try to help me =D

How would anyone change their identity by their own means or by professional means? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi fellow users I am conducting research on this matter to aid myself look for a loved one who has not been seen for six years. I suspect that my friend has changed their identity and I need to understand how this can be done.

Not sure what she means [ 8 Answers ]

OK my girlfriend broke it off a week ago, saying that she didn't feel that she had the time to commit herself into a relationhip and it wasn't fair to me. She was a busy person, ill be the first to admit that, and I know she was going through a tough time at school and with her training schedule...

View more questions Search