Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2013, 07:11 PM
    Premiere Pro and Laptops
    It's weird. My video camera saves files in .mts format. I use Premiere Pro 5.5 on my office's desktop computer and also on my business laptop. On the desktop computer, Adobe Premiere Pro 5.5 imports the camera's .mts files just fine. But on the laptop, it says the file has a compression type that is not supported. Same program, same file, different result.

Anybody have an idea why?

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 23, 2013, 01:25 AM
    Check your codecs.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2013, 10:33 AM
    Not sure how to do that with this program. The basic program info says it's supposed to be able to read that type of file, so I would assume it installed the codec when it installed everything else, but I have no way to sort out where or what to check.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 23, 2013, 11:40 AM
    I find this one does the trick: Codec Pack Guide: K-Lite Codec Pack

Here's more on the mts file: What is MTS? MTS Video File Format Description
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2013, 04:09 PM
    That didn't work. Oh well.

I should probably clarify that Premiere Pro is the ONLY video-capable program on the computer that can't read those files. Media Player, a thing by Toshiba that came with the computer, all of those can read them just fine. The problem is confined to the one program that really needs to read them.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Feb 24, 2013, 02:13 PM
    Your problem may have to do with your file associations. Somewhere in Premiere you should be able to select the files that are associated with the software. Sometimes if you install another program over the one you want to use, it will steal the file associations from the other software. Real player from AOL used to steal file associations all the time and people really hated that. Check in your premiere settings to see if mts can be associated.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2013, 06:07 PM
    Nope. That didn't help. It just keeps saying the file has an unsupported compression type. But the program info says it can work with this type. I'm totally baffled.

Feb 24, 2013, 07:25 PM
    What if you were to extract the video to the desktop where you know it works and then copy it over to the laptop? Maybe the laptop is doing something to the file as its copied to the hard drive.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2013, 10:58 PM
    Tried it. No luck. Still open to ideas!
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
    At the moment I'm trying a complete reinstall. There's one way to find out if that'll work.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2013, 11:02 AM
    Reinstalling made no difference. Any more ideas? Please??

Feb 26, 2013, 06:44 PM
    You might want to contact Toshiba Tech Support. I suspect your problem starts there. Of course good luck getting them to admit they screwed up somehow. Manufacturers tend to blame the software and software companies blame the manufacturer, usually neither one will take responsibility for screwing up. Some times your anti-virus will tag a part of the software with a false positive rendering certain aspects of the software invalid. Try your reinstall with the AV off and see what happens. You can also scan the program folder afterwords and tell the AV to ignore the false positive if it works. Otherwise the next time the AV automatically scans drive C, it might screw it up again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adobe Premiere element 4.0 [ 2 Answers ]

I used the help guide, but it does not seem to help. What I want to do is take videos that are on my computer and the ones to capture and put on to DVD until later and edit. I need blank recording tapes. I tried to send/export to a drive with DVD in it, but that failed. I forgot the error...

Adobe Premiere CS3 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can any one say me that how can I make a video clio in oval shape using Adobe Premiere CS3? I Can not provide the accurate oval style. A square video will be shapped in oval. How can I do this?? Reply as soon s possible.:(

View more questions Search