Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucysnott Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 03:24 PM
    Getting a hamster
    So I'm getting a hamster and I would like to know what I need I know the basics like food cage and water and treats but like can you be very correct its just to help me out because I had one when I was younger but I can't remember and don't take this like I'm really dumb...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:26 PM
    Get some library books about hamsters. Read them BEFORE you get the hamster.

Feb 22, 2013, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Get some library books about hamsters. Read them BEFORE you get the hamster.
    thanks but I know how to look after one its what I need
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucysnott View Post
    thanks but I know how to look after one its what I need
    Yes, and the books will tell you how to look after one.

I'll give you a few tips.

First, make sure that you buy the biggest cage you can afford. Tunnel attachments are great to have, as hamster like to explore, and like to go into tunnels.

Buy the best quality food you can afford, and a water bottle that attaches to the cage (do not put water in a bowl, many hamsters have drowned this way).

Only get one hamster. Hamsters cannot be housed together.

Do not handle the hamster for the first few days, let it get settled, going to a new home is stressful.

Hamsters are solitary animals, they can be great pets, but they really don't enjoy being handled, they merely tolerate it. Be prepared that you may get bitten a few times, until your hamster grows accustomed to you.

Hamsters are nocturnal, which means that they sleep all day, and are awake all night. Make sure that you have a place to put your hamster that's safe during the night, otherwise he/she will likely keep you up.

Good luck and do some research online, there's tons of info out there, just Google "hamster care", and you'll have more to read than you'll know what to do with.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
    A cage... preferably an aquarium style cage, made of glass rather than bars. The cage style with the bars allow too many problems. Too much draft on the hamster. Too much mess outside of the cage. Too much possibility of escape. 10 gallon minimum size. Preferably bigger.

A good, well made lid. Usually a steel frame with wire screen and something to lock it down so it can't be pushed up or off.

A good quality water bottle... dishes are a waste and not sanitary.

Good quality bedding. Hamsters I had always liked cedar but pine seems to be pretty good too.

A wheel for exercise.

A good food dish.

Good quality Hamster food.

Bedding material for the hamster to make a nest.

Some kind of chew sticks to keep their teeth from growing too long.

All this should cost you near $100, maybe more, maybe less.

And like WG said... be sure you know what you're doing and getting into BEFORE you buy this hamster.

Edit- Alty beat me to it!
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:52 PM
    A cage... preferably an aquarium style cage, made of glass rather than bars.
    I hate disagreeing, but heck, disagreement is the spice of life, right?

I really hate aquariums for hamster or gerbils. They're okay as a run around place, but I much prefer a cage with bars. I'll tell you why.

If you live in a place that's very warm, or where the summers are at least warm, the aquarium doesn't allow any air flow. It's like being in a closed car out in the heat. It can get very warm in there.

Aquariums also keep in a lot of moisture, which can cause issues with the bedding, the food.

The only thing I do like about aquariums that I hate about wire cages, is that aquariums are almost impossible for the hamster to escape from. But, the cages nowadays are being made better and better. I have 3 gerbils, and a wire cage attached to an aquarium (gerbils like to dig, so the aquarium is full of bedding so they can dig around). I have to say that the cage we bought them, is like Fort Knox. It has three levels, a wheel, and tons of stuff for them to do. They love it.

But the rest, I totally agree, and feel free to disagree with me on the aquarium versus cage debate. :)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 04:00 PM
    I always used aquariums for all my rodents. The trick was to have the top open screen... and the cage should be big enough that it allows decent air flow.

On the other hand, drafts were an issue where I lived in the winters... too easy for hamsters to get sick that way.

BUT... I see your points on the bar cages and can't completely disagree with them as long as the OP takes things into consideration of where the animal will be kept.

Feb 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Yes, and the books will tell you how to look after one.

I'll give you a few tips.

First, make sure that you buy the biggest cage you can afford. Tunnel attachments are great to have, as hamster like to explore, and like to go into tunnels.

Buy the best quality food you can afford, and a water bottle that attaches to the cage (do not put water in a bowl, many hamsters have drowned this way).

Only get one hamster. Hamsters cannot be housed together.

Do not handle the hamster for the first few days, let it get settled, going to a new home is stressful.

Hamsters are solitary animals, they can be great pets, but they really don't enjoy being handled, they merely tolerate it. Be prepared that you may get bitten a few times, until your hamster grows accustomed to you.

Hamsters are nocturnal, which means that they sleep all day, and are awake all night. Make sure that you have a place to put your hamster that's safe during the night, otherwise he/she will likely keep you up.

Good luck and do some research online, there's tons of info out there, just google "hamster care", and you'll have more to read than you'll know what to do with.
    Thanks a lot this helped me xx
    Joanna 2012 Posts: 17, Reputation: -2

Jun 13, 2013, 04:17 PM
    For treats once in a while... cut up carrots, banana, apple, sunflower seeds unsalted

Don't buy the treats in pet stores that have yogurt to them they sound healthy but contain sugar
    Joanna 2012 Posts: 17, Reputation: -2

Jun 13, 2013, 04:17 PM
    Oh and sometimes they like toilet paper rolls as a toy
    Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 04:52 PM
    Been a while since I've seen this old thread.

Just re-read my answer, and I am now disagreeing with myself.

I've had hamsters, and now gerbils. Never had an issue with hamster approved cages from the pet store. Had a few escapes, but that's about it. I still think that an aquarium can be like a sauna, and wouldn't be my first choice for a hamster, but, if you're getting a gerbil (I realize this OP wasn't getting a gerbil, but I mentioned gerbils in my post) a wire and plastic cage is out, only an aquarium (glass, not plastic) will do.

I bought a very expensive, super deluxe cage for the three gerbils we brought home. It only lasted a few months. They literally ate a hole in the bottom. Anything plastic, wood, etc. they will devour. The only option with a gerbil is an aquarium, or a metal cage, no plastic or wood, at all.

You can get attachments for 10 gallon aquariums that are gerbil friendly. Never buy anything plastic though, only metal or glass.

Just thought I'd add this. We got our gerbils shortly before I wrote my post on this thread. I really had no idea that they could eat through hard sturdy gerbil approved plastic as fast as they did.

I still stand by what I said for hamster care. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How did my hamster die? Should I get another hamster? [ 3 Answers ]

I got my first hamster at Christmas 2011. In the last couple of days I noticed he was acting a little weird. He was a lot more hyper and he would be up nibbling at the cage at 7am. I looked online for vets nearby but I couldn't see any that mentioned hamsters. The next day I came back from school...

So I want to get a new hamster but... [ 6 Answers ]

I just want to know what the minimum temperature outside should be when I go out to buy a new hamster

My hamster has become mean [ 5 Answers ]

My hamster is mean it is a female. And I used to hold her until she bit me. Do you think she will do it again or should I just leave her alone. Or wear a glove.

Is my hamster going to be okay? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay this might be kind of a dumb question but whatever. I have a hamster named Larry and I pay attention to it and everything but I put it in it's plastic ball thingy and I forgot it was in there and kind of left it in there too long and when I tried to take it out it was going all crazy and when...

View more questions Search