Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cloyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 11:46 AM
    How to change threaded tub spout to slip on type tub spout?
    I want to change the tub spout from the thread on type to the slip on type. Does the thread on type have a thread inside the wall that I can take out and install a 1/2" copper line with MIP?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 12:18 PM
    Hi Cloyd

If the pipe isn't copper then yes, the threaded brass (or galvanized) pipe is threaded inside the wall and can be removed.

If you have a brass pipe (brass colored) then you should have no problem removing it. If you have a galvanized pipe then you can expect to run into difficulties removing it and may want to reconsider your options here... ;)

Is there an access panel behind the valve/spout? If there is an access panel you may be able to hold the galvanized fitting with one wrench (in wall) and loosen the galvanized nipple using another wrench... Just more FYI!

Why do you want to make the change out?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slip-on Tub Spout - Can't access set screw [ 19 Answers ]

I have been reading the posts about removing the different types of spouts. Mine is a 1/2 inch copper tube out of the wall. I can't get to the set screw. The spout will turn and with pressure come about 3/4" off the wall. I don't want to pull any harder and twist because I think I may damage...

Can I replace a slip on tub spout with no diverter to a tub spout with a diverter? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a slip on tub spout that has no diverter. I would like to exchange this tub spout with one that has a diverter.

KHOLER slip on tub spout [ 14 Answers ]

I have a kholer devonshire tub spout that is a slip on. It slips on to a 1/2 copper and then there is a hex nut under it that you tighten. I would like some advice about properly afixing this. It does not seem to slip on very far and it seems like water would shoot backwards when the diverter is...

Replacing shower/tub slip on spout [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced the shower/tub slip on spout, but there is water leaking from the back of the spout and the wall. What am I doing wrong?

How to remove a slip-on Delta bath tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

The house is 16 years old. The bath tub spout has no identification on it, but it says "Delta Monitor" on the Temperature Control knob. The problem is that the water just flows to the tub and won't go up to the showerhead. I am trying to rePlcace the tub spout. It looks like a slip on type. I have...

View more questions Search