Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjpcjp40 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 09:19 AM
    Honeywell zone valve won't close switch to activate heat
    Our hydronic heat system is working fine for one zone only. The second zone will only switch on 30% of the time that the thermostat actually makes its call. In order to make that zone work, we have to cycle the power on and off to the board by flicking the power switch.

We have replaced the zone control module circuit board, thinking there was a short somewhere. No change.

We have replaced the valve, thinking that it was faulty. No change.

We have replaced the wiring that leads from the valve to the zone control module thinking there is a fault there. No change.

We have doubled up on the low voltage wire for the 'close' end switch, thinking there is a loss of voltage over the run. No change.

We can't seem to find any repair company that can fix it and we have spent hundreds of dollars chasing down the problem.

The call is made and only answered sporadically on that problem zone. Meanwhile, our other zone is functioning perfectly off the same board and the same equipment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 11:16 AM
    It seems you have replaced everything but the thermostat. Buy a CHEAP heat only thermostat and disconnect the old one. Then run the wires by jumper if necessary to the new thermostat. See if that works out for you. Just make sure the old thermostat is completely out of the loop so it can cause no interference.

Feb 22, 2013, 12:27 PM
    Replaced the thermostats, too. :(

The signal problem seems to be from the new valve back up to the board. The valve will open every time when it calls, but the positive connection to make the heat come on never happens.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cjpcjp40 View Post
    Replaced the thermostats, too. :(

The signal problem seems to be from the new valve back up to the board. The valve will open every time when it calls, but the positive connection to make the heat come on never happens.
    There is a end switch in that Honeywell zone valve. They are usually bad or good but I would check it out to make sure it is tight in the valve switch assembly area and not moving around which would allow intermittent operation.

Feb 22, 2013, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    There is a end switch in that Honeywell zone valve. They are usually bad or good but I would check it out to make sure it is tight in the valve switch assembly area and not moving around which would allow intermittent operation.

Thanks. I just checked it and the interior part of the switch where the wiring contacts the assembly seems to be making a noise like something is loose as I move the wires around.

I'm going to spend some time removing the assembly and checking the connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell boiler zone valve [ 0 Answers ]

I have my expansion tank replaced as it was full of water. There was heat for a few days and then there was no heat. . The plumber came back and replaced my zone valve model V8043G1018 and the plumber asked what temp. do I like the room temp. at? I replied 20 degrees C. I was not there to see...

Help with honeywell zone valve v8043e1012 [ 0 Answers ]

Two days ago my plumber moved my thermostat to a new position in our lower level (in-floor radiant). 36 hours later the temp had dropped 10 degrees. When looking at the zone valve (honeywell v8043e1012) the motor (a replacement) was very hot and when I pulled it off it keep running as long as the...

Honeywell zone valve [ 1 Answers ]

What does the "manual" position of the Honeywell 4000 4850 001 zone valve do? Does it by pass the thermostat and not operate the valve so that the valve stays closed all the time?

Honeywell zone valve [ 1 Answers ]

The valve does not open when I call for heat. The manual lever is stuck in one position and I am unable to move it in any direction. I have an older style valve which I suspect I have to replace. Will the new motorized valve mount to the old body or do I have to replace the body as well?

I have a weil-mclain boiler. The zone valve opens but no heat in zone. What do I do? [ 1 Answers ]

Have replaced the zone valve actuator, but it doesn't seem to be fixing the problem. What else can I do?

View more questions Search