Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZiaH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Told by a co worker I was written up at work
    I work part time at a Canadian coffee shop. When I was hired my avaiiblity was Friday Saturday and Sunday. I have another full time job Monday to Thursday. I have had two excellent reviews from my manager. The company had a manadtory meeting on a Monday and Wednesday between the hours of 4 to 6 pm and due to my other employment I could not attend. I heard from a coworker that my manager was wtiting me up for not attending. I had explained to my managerprior to these meetings that I could not attend. My problem is I do not think I should have heard from a coworker that I was being written up before I heard from my manager. This manager had obviosly being talking to others about my absence.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2013, 07:26 AM
    Hello Z:

You're right. You have a lousy manager. You COULD take him aside and explain that it wasn't proper... But, a manager who DOES it, won't get that he SHOULDN'T. And, he especially doesn't want to hear that from you...

Bottom line is, there's NOT much you can do about it.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 08:11 AM
    First you don't even know if this is true, other employee may just think you will.

But as said, no you should not have to, bu then this just the way it is at times
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 22, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Life is unfair at many part time jobs - company policy protecting employees is almost non-existent. Government laws don't protect you regarding something like this.

I would take a stance right away if you actually do get written up. I would type a short letter saying that you were hired with their knowledge of your other job, and that if they don't retract it, you are quitting. Otherwise you will just get treated this way again. The part about hearing the info second hand is fairly trivial. He might have said 'anyone not present gets written up' or something, or muttered about you under his breath before he remembered - who knows? Never assume until you do know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being Written up at Work for Minor Thing [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 17 and started working at a restaurant as a hostess, and I'm currently training. The other day, my manager fired 1 of the 5 servers who were supposed to be working that very day. Also, since one of our appetizer chefs had quit the day before, we were short on apt. chefs. So, my manager ends...

Is it legal to fire union worker with no written or verbal warning [ 7 Answers ]

Is it legal to fire union employee twelve years over one accident? I have never been late No prior accidents. Never been written up.Just fired same day as accident with no verbal or written warning.

Help I'm getting written up at work all the time? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a 40 yr old male and I work for a company in the shipping and receiving department.As of now I'm 2 months shy of 2 yrs with the company.I feel I'm being weeded out because, of my age .I feel the company is looking for younger 18 yr olds to take my place cause,18 yr olds will move...

Co-worker threatening me outside of work [ 3 Answers ]

Living with co-worker as domestic partner. Partner physically abusive, police called, employer notified. Employer promised to transfer hostile employee but did not. Now, physical abuse happened again. Hostile employee has outstanding warrant. Should I file complaint with EEOC based on hostile...

Written up at work? I'm so CONFUSED! [ 4 Answers ]

I am a server and my manager made a list of what tables all the servers had. I was with my friend and took the list down to look at it and forgot to put it back up. My manager was looking for it and I told him I took it down and gave it to him, he was ticked off, and I couldn't believe over...

View more questions Search