Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shaunab77 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2013, 05:58 PM
    Can you change the last name of a child if the other biological parent is unknown
    My son was born when I was married to my previous husband. My ex-husband was thought to be the father and his name is on the birth certificate. After separating from my ex he performed a DNA test on my son and found that he was not the father. The father is unknown and does not know that my son was born. My new husband has become my son's father and wants my son to have his last name. How do we do this without the other biological parent or does that matter? In my divorce papers from my previous marriage it states that my ex is not the father of my son.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 06:04 PM
    Where is this?

This is so convoluted that I would not proceed without an Attorney.

Are you saying you don't know who the father of your child is and will sign an Affidavit to that effect OR that you know the identity of the father but don't know where he is?

Feb 21, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Where is this?

This is so convoluted that I would not proceed without an Attorney.

Are you saying you don't know who the father of your child

is and will sign an Affidavit to that effect OR that you know the identity of the father but don't know where he is?
    I live in Texas. I was going through a bad time in my life and I was married. I went out with my friends and ended up having a one night stand. The guy told me his name but I could not remember his last name. He was in the air force and was leaving to Japan in a few weeks. I didn't even know my son was not my ex husbands until my son was almost 3. I have no idea how to find the biological father.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2013, 08:05 PM
    When you ex got the DNA test, was it part of a court proceeding? Was he removed as the legal father? Unless he was, then he is still the legal father and can consent to the adoption.

Feb 22, 2013, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    When you ex got the DNA test, was it part of a court proceeding? Was he removed as the legal father? Unless he was, then he is still the legal father and can consent to the adoption.
    It says in the divorce papers "the court finds that petitioner ,xxx, as a result of DNA Paternity test , is NOT the biological father. " so I guess he has been removed as the legal guardian.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2013, 08:31 AM
    Not necessarily. Acknowledging he isn't the bio father doesn't change the fact he may be the legal father.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:30 PM
    Is your current husband willing to adopt?

Feb 23, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Is your current husband willing to adopt?
    Yes. He wants to adopt him. My son knows him as his real dad. He has been his father since my son was 3 and my son believes he is his "real" dad.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 03:32 PM
    Then what might work best for you since it is most likely your ex that is the legal father is to move forward with the adoption. That way your ex can sign off on all the paperwork and it's a done deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parent adoption, biological father unknown [ 21 Answers ]

My daughter is two, and calls my boyfriend dada, we have plans to get married. He asked about adopting her recently. He works, makes good money, pays the bills, about me a new car, I'm currently pregnant with his child. We live in Kentucky. I however do not know who her biological father is. I know...

If a non biological parent acted as the parent for most of the child's life if the bio [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have been separated for six months. We have one child together and one that he has raised since she was three she is now sixteen. He has posed as her father in every aspect. He has signed his name as her father since then. Her biological father is in prison and has been so for...

Step parent must pay child support when biological parent is unable to provide [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-husband is claiming that he does not have to pay child support because he does not work and has not work since 1998. Our two daughters however, up until 2 years ago lived with him and his new wife who is the sole provider of that family. So my question is even though he cannot pay since he...

Introducing a child to an unknown parent [ 4 Answers ]

My 2-year-old daughter has just started supervised visits with her father, who she has never met until now. Due to his violent behavior and the need for a protection order he is not allowed to be alone with her and never has been. She is screaming and crying to the point of vomiting because she...

How do I get a legal name change for childwhen biological fathers location is unknown [ 1 Answers ]

I moved 8 hours away 7.5 months pregnant. My divorce was final when my child was 7 months old. At about 10 months I went to the state my ex lives in. My divorce decree said if my child was in that state I had to notify him we were coming. I brought her to meet him where he saw my child for about...

View more questions Search