Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikemal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Earth wire cable sizing
    Hi , Im mike, 29 years old, I live in Mauritius. I would like to know how to size my eathing wire since my supply wire is 6 mm2.

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Earthing conductor is usually based on the size of overcurrent protection device, not of the associated branch circuit wire size.

6 mm2 wire is close to #10 AWG wire in the US, which is good for 30 amps. So using the code here to size the earth wire for your circuit, the equivalent wire would be 4 mm2
    engsadi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 11:22 PM
    Hi

Can u tel me what are the thumb rules for chosing earth cable for small cable size and large cable size
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 05:04 AM
    The rule of thumb is to consult with the Code or Standard that applies in your geographical area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper wire sizing? [ 3 Answers ]

We are re-routing the supply line to our pump house, where there is an extension panel with 30A 220V (pump controller) and 15A & 20A 110V breakers. It's about a 60' run from the 200A main service in the house, being placed in conduit 2' underground. The wire in place is newer 10 gauge solid copper....

Wire sizing for sub panel. [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for the response on my sub panel questions. I finally found a slim line breaker which will work in my main panel. I can now consolidate two breakers to give me room for a 100 ap breaker. This breaker will feed the sub panel in my workshop. I plan on placing a 100 amp sub panel in the...

What is the cable/wire gauge (product name) for installing 200 Amp Service Entrance [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new service entrance to upgrade my home electrical service to 200 amps. 1 Please tell me what gage wire is required from the meter to the weather-head? The service panel with main breaker is inside the laundry room 25 feet from the outdoor meter loop. I will run the...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

3-way switch with 2-wire cable [ 4 Answers ]

We just bought a new house, and after painting, I've been replacing all the outlets and switches. As I was replacing a couple of 3-way switches, I saw that the previous owners used just 2-wire cable between the 3-way switches, using the bare ground as the traveller wire. This is obviously not...

View more questions Search