Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blake freer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
    Adopting my girlfriends baby
    I'm 20 and my girlfriend is 19,she was pregnant when we started dating, now the child is 5 months old and the father still hasn't acknowladged or even asked about the child. He's not on a single piece of paper work or on the birth cirtificate and has never given so much as a penny to the child, yet his mom wants to be a grandmother and is threatening to take us to court if we don't allow her time with the baby. I have full intentions on adopting him as I love him unconditionally. She says she can get a court ordered paternity test. Is this true? And if so,what are his rights, and what are mine? p.s, I've been the only father to this child I don't think it should matter if he's my blood or not.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 03:42 PM
    If you adopt the child... then YOU become the new father for all legal purposes... meaning if you break up... you will be paying support until the child is at least 18 years old.. and maybe even 21 in some places along with paying for college.

Unless you get married... give this a LOT of thought before proceeding. She will need the fathers OK.. but being he will be off the hook... I've sure he will willingly sign the adoption.

Until that adoption.. he is the father and has the very same rights as she has... and technically you have none.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    ...Unless you get married..

Unless you marry the mother you cannot adopt the child in most places.

The supposed father's mother can, in many places, ask for visitation. This would depend on whether her son is indeed the father. And, to prove that, she might very well have a right to a paternity test, if she actually files in court.

In answer to your last question, as nothing more than a friend of the child's mother, you currently have no rights with respect to the child.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2013, 08:02 PM
    You really need to consult a local Family Law attorney. The grandmother's rights, the requirements for adoption are all subject to local laws. So you need to find out what those laws are. Then you will know how to proceed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my girlfriends kid [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there me and my girlfriend have been together for 3years I want to adopt her son that's 3 we have changed his name with the docs etc his biological father hasn't seen him since the first month of his life but is on the birth certifacate I would like to know if there's any laws that can stop us...

Adopting my sisters baby [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is due in August. She is giving my Husband and I custody of the baby. She is back in prison. She said she talk to her doctor about putting our names directly on the birth certificate, so we don't have to go through the adopting process. I was wondering if this is possible and if I should...

Adopting girlfriends child [ 4 Answers ]

Ive read the forums but cannot find specific info on this. Our situation: my girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years. We have a baby girl together. She came into the relationship with an 11 month old son whom I love dearly and have raised as my own and fully intend to continue to for...

Lesbian wanting to carry girlfriends baby [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm trying to find out where I can go to get information on how much it would cost to get invtro for my girlfriends embryo. Does anyone know where I can go?

Adopting my teenager's baby [ 9 Answers ]

My teenage daughter is 15 and has told me she is pregnant. Her dad and I have told her we would adpot the baby. She was going to have an abortion, but decided this would be better. Are we right to adopt? She is an immuture 15 almost 16. The boyfriend doesn't seem to have any problems with it. He...

View more questions Search