Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thewhitecap Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2013, 07:03 AM
    Haven't seen this girl for 5 yrs now...
    Ok so after five years this girl that I talked to for maybe a week or two said I could be the father of her 4yr old son... I ended up taking the at home dna swabs and they came back that he was mine (not court ordered) I live in Rhode Island. When I took the at home test was the first time I saw the kid . She is married now and had another kid. Now for the questions... am I liable for child support... Can I sign my rights over since it be 4 yrs and it be in the best interest of the child to still think her husband is the father...
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 07:10 AM
    No you can't sign away any rights...

If she comes after you for child support, get another DNA test done... and pay what they order... if she puts it up for adoption then don't oppose it, if her husband decides to adopt it... is just the same. Adoption is the only way you are going to get out of any support requirements. However you really don't have a lot of input there other that agreeing to it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 07:13 AM
    You can sign your rights if she wishes her husband to adopt the child.
    But only then.

Yes you should start paying support, but she can take you to court to get it.

* I do not agree it is in the child's best interest to believe a lie or be lied to about this. Child should always know the truth

It is in YOUR best interest not to pay support

With that said, home DNA tests are not very reliable, So I would not base any decision on one of those tests. I would confirm with a real lab that is court approved

Feb 21, 2013, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You can sign your rights if she wishes her husband to adopt the child.
    But only then.

Yes you should start paying support, but she can take you to court to get it.

* I do not agree it is in the child's best interest to believe a lie or be lied to about this. Child should always know the truth

it is in YOUR best interest not to pay support

With that said, home DNA tests are not very reliable, So I would not base any decision on one of those tests. I would confirm with a real lab that is court approved
    How about back support for past 4+ yrs?

Feb 21, 2013, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    No you can't sign away any rights....

If she comes after you for child support, get another DNA test done...and pay what they order....if she puts it up for adoption then don't oppose it, if her husband decides to adopt it...is just the same. Adoption is the only way you are going to get out of any support requirements. However you really don't have a lot of input there other that agreeing to it.
    A lot of input on what?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewhitecap View Post
    Alot of input on what?
    Meaning you can't make her put it up for adoption... or much else... without court ordered visitation or even shared custody... or even court recognised status as the father... you really can't do anything. Until then.. its all her decision. YOu can't decide you aren't going to pay... all she has to do is go to court for support... and if the courts DNA tests proves you are the father.. you are on the hook at least until they are 18.. and depending on where everyone resides... maybe even until 21 including college costs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I love a girl but we haven't still talk with eahother [ 1 Answers ]

Its my first love and every day I see a girl whom I love so much but we are completely unknown to each other.. Despite of being in same class I am no courage to speak with her..

How to tell a girl you've known for ages how you feel, but haven't interacted with [ 1 Answers ]

Hello guys, there is this girl I like, and I have been at school with her my whole life and have never been attracted to her, now its year nine and suddenly I am attracted to her and can't get her out of my head. I help her heaps in maths class, and she really appreciates it, she always tells me...

Live In Boyfriend of 7 yrs very close w/other girl [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been living together for 7 years. I came from a past of an ex husband that cheated on me over and over. So, for a while, when I thought my boyfriend was getting close to co-workers, I didn't understand and I would get jealous. Since, I have gone to wellness therapy to help...

I broke with my girl of 3 yrs I want her back but messed it up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, long story short, we have been together for over 3 years and we are our only partners, (or were) but split up 2 months ago and have just started talking, our relationship begun to breakdown (lots of arguing and fighting) and I believed for some reason a break would help but never said I wanted...

View more questions Search