Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2013, 11:27 AM
    Wondered what this costs - ?
    I took both of my dogs in the get their nails trimmed yesterday. They did not see the Vet, and the Vet Tech did the trimming.

The total for both dogs was $56.00.

Does that seem high? What do other people pay? I appreciate they are very big dogs (150# and 90#, but still -)

I should have started trimming their nails myself when they were younger, but I didn't, I've seen Techs cut into the quick, and I'm afraid to start now.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2013, 12:25 PM
    At the clinic I work at, we charge extra if the dogs are bad and cause everyone on staff to help hold. Maybe they were naughty?
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2013, 12:31 PM
    No, not a problem at all. The Tech came in and we "chatted" while she trimmed their nails by herself. No second person, no muzzles, no fighting.

She knows them so their sizes weren't a concern.

One sat on command and watched the other and then they switched.

That's a good point but, no, no problems.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2013, 12:44 PM
    Maybe they put the wrong code in and no one caught it.. I'm not sure why that is expensive... Have you called back and asked?
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
    No - I wanted to be sure I wasn't being unreasonable. I work and expect to be paid. I hate asking other people why/what they charge after the fact.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 20, 2013, 01:42 PM
    My vet's office people have overcharged me more than once, shortchanged pills during a snowstorm, and generally charge so much I don't like going.
    Even when my 63 lb golden was put down, they charged me cremation for a 95+ lb dog. UGH!
    I have never paid for clipping nails though, so can't help there.
    I wonder if clipping would be cheaper if combined with other reasons for a visit?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2013, 02:18 PM
    I don't have any recent experience but I am quite sure that we paid $ 25 to have our beagle's nails trimmed, and that had to be at least 12 years ago. We couldn't even attempt to do it ourselves as she went totally berserk if you just grabbed her paw to look at the her toes, but the vet wasn't aware of that (at least not the first time) so it wasn't any extra charge. Sounds like a pretty reasonable fee to me.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Every place seems different.
    We have three prices - $25, $12, and $0.

The $25 nail trims are reserved for pets that require more than one person to hold, unless they are already paying for an exam, then it's $12.
    Most others are $12, including all cats.
    $0 nail trims are for pets here for an appointment that don't require 2 people to hold. They are also for nail trims that are super easy (ie tech does by herself or with owner's help).

That's just sort of how it is at our clinic. Everywhere else is different. I dislike charging people the $25 trim.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
    Seems high to me, but I live in an area where I can take 2 extra large dogs for a bath and nail trim for $80. :) What I'd do is call around to other vets/groomers for a price. I sometimes do grooming at home and I charge $5. each for a straight forward nail trim, no matter what the size of dog.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Don't forget too. Nail trimming fir dogs with black nails Is cautionary because you can't see the vein in the nail.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2013, 12:09 PM
    A dog with black toe nails shouldn't increase a price.. If that's the cAse, don't go back to that clinics.

Everyone is so scared if cutting the quick.. It's not a big deal.. Most dogs don't even cry out..
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 02:04 PM
    Lucky, I'm considering driving to Colorado with my dogs in 4 months so you can trim their nails. Get ready.

I called the Vet. It's $25.00 per dog. The overbilling was a mistake because the Tech thought she put flea medication on the puppy. I didn't request it and she "says" he didn't get it. I was not happy. If she did he has been overmedicated.

She swears it's a billing mistake.

So now we see -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is segment profit only from direct costs or direct costs and indirect costs? [ 0 Answers ]

I am trying to understand this problem and I am not sure if got it or not. Operating Statement for ST10: Batches prodcued & sold: 200 sales rev. $32,000 Direct costs: Direct materials = (1,800) Direct labor = ((4,200) Variable manufacturing overhead=(2,000)

I wondered when I would get one of these... [ 10 Answers ]

I collect scam e-mails. This one just received takes the cake ;) I can't believe that people really fall for these, but I suppose GREED is the ultimate driver...

Has anyone ever wondered? [ 34 Answers ]

Who in the world chose the color for the standard pencil? It's SO random! I was just staring at one earlier and thinking, "what is this color even supposed to be? and what is it called" what's the purpose of it? I'm just curious.

Have you ever wondered? [ 22 Answers ]

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are flat? Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there is not enough? Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets? Why does someone believe you when you say there...

Have You Ever Wondered? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, Have you ever wondered why so many lives are lost in what many call Natural disasters? Recently a hurricane Katrina hit where I live, 6 persons were killed in my area and 50 or more in other areas nearby. If God controls the forces in the earth, then why does God allow people to be...

View more questions Search