Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sammydd Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 10:35 PM
    Mileage deduction for renting out a car
    Here's one for you..

I own a vehicle and am self employed, working from home. I use the mileage deduction when driving to visit clients/business purposes. This is all pretty standard so far, but here's the twist. I rent out my car for extra income using a car sharing program (getaround.com). I keep track of the miles that are driven by the renters and I also keep track of the miles that I use the vehicle for business purposes. Can I use the standard mileage deduction for the miles driven by renters?

IRS Publication 463 says:

Cars for hire and the standard mileage rate.
    Beginning in 2011, you can elect to use the
    standard mileage rate if you used a car for hire
    (such as a taxi).

Is renting out the car to someone considered car for hire?

I understand the IRS has an independent company calculate the fixed and variable costs of vehicles in order to come up with the 55.5 cents per mile, but fuel is a factor in this calculation. Obviously when the car is rented out, the renter pays for fuel.

Thanks in advance...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 10:57 PM
    If it says in the IRS pub that you can use the mileage rate for Cars for hire, then you can use the standard mileage rate, irrespective of who pays for the fuel.

Feb 19, 2013, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    If it says in the IRS pub that you can use the mileage rate for Cars for hire, then you can use the standard mileage rate, irrespective of who pays for the fuel.
    Does the definition of "Car for hire" cover renting out the car to another party? Or only if you hire out your car as a taxi service and you are the one driving?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 11:44 PM
    Car for hire normally means you are driving the car, but there are so many variations that is impossible to cover all possible considerations. You ARE hiring your car out to someone, so In my opinion, you can use the standard mileage rate.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2013, 12:08 AM
    The owner of taxi (car for hire) is using standard mileage rate. Suppose it has two clients (car sharing). If both clients also use mileage rate, then for 1 mile driven, deduction for 3 miles will be claimed.
    I doubt if you can claim standard mileage rate.

Feb 20, 2013, 12:56 AM
    Mukata, I believe you cannot claim mileage for a car that you are renting. Only the owner of a vehicle can claim the mileage.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2013, 08:05 AM
    Agreed.

For the renter of the car, the only deduction would be the rent and the fuel, not the mileage.

Feb 26, 2013, 04:29 PM
    So I spoke to someone at the IRS, I cannot take the mileage deduction on a car that I'm not driving. So it does not qualify as "car for hire".

So now my next question, do I report rental income from a vehicle as schedule C or schedule E?

My primary business is obviously not renting out vehicles so that leads me to believe it's schedule E. How would I then expense out oil changes, registration, new tires etc.

Feb 26, 2013, 04:43 PM
    More information I found:

Personal property. Do not use Schedule E to report income and expenses
    From the rental of personal property,
    Such as equipment or vehicles. Instead,
    Use Schedule C or C-EZ if you are in the
    Business of renting personal property.
    You are in the business of renting personal property if the primary purpose for
    Renting the property is income or profit
    And you are involved in the rental activity with continuity and regularity.
    If your rental of personal property is
    Not a business, see the instructions for
    Form 1040, lines 21 and 36, to find out
    How to report the income and expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best engine oil to use for high mileage car? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what's the best engine oil and filter to use on my 2 wheel dr 2004 Nissan Titan with 96,000 miles on it?

Mileage Deduction Allowance - Income Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I work as a delivery clerk for a pizza restaurant/store. Delivery clerks (drivers) provide/use their own vehicle to make the deliveries. At the end of the night the delivery clerk (driver) receives a small commission (payment) for the use of the vehicle used to make the deliveries done that...

Car mileage tax deduction [ 2 Answers ]

I just joined some direct sales organization which effectively makes me Self Employed. I know that for SE, we are allowed to use business-related car mileage as tax deduction. I am thinking about using the per-mile rate rather than actual expenses. However, the car in question is NOT...

Can you suggest me a best mileage used car? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I am considering buying a used car out of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. I am in NJ and work in NY. My requirement Don't want to drive to office. Drive locally and on trip to out of state around US couple of time a month. I am looking for price range $5K - $20K & mfg 1995 - 2004, MAXIMUM...

Car mileage reimbursement [ 3 Answers ]

I read that the IRS increased the mileage reimbursement to 48.5 cents/mile for business miles driven. Just confirming this info. Also, this is something standard across the nation? Thanks.

View more questions Search