Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angellike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 02:37 PM
    Spousal support 1099
    Is it a legal maneuver for my ex to send a 1099 for 2000. Spousal support. I do realize that I have to report it as income

Also. He is 8 months behind. The spousal support should be 8x this
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 03:05 PM
    Nothing untoward about this at all, assuming that he reported the true amount he paid to you. It protects him so that he can deduct the amount without worrying that the IRS may challenge him on it, and it is proof for you to the IRS of the amount you actually received (as opposed to what the court order says he should have paid).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 06:03 PM
    It is not an issue, provided he puts the support amount in Box #3 (Other Income) of the Form 1099-MISC, and NOT Box #7 (Non-employee Compensation).
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2013, 12:14 AM
    If it is alimony, include in your income on Form 1040, line 11. Amounts for child support are not income to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I no longer pay child support will my spousal support paid increase? [ 10 Answers ]

I live in California and my daughter is 19 yrs old and just graduated from high school, I was paying child support and spousal support, now that I am no longer obligated to pay child support will the spousal support I pay to my ex get increased?

Can I get spousal support ? [ 1 Answers ]

We've been married for almost 2 years but been together over 4 years. I supported him while he was in prison for at least a couple of years. I have receipts and he even signed a couples agreement that if we split within 3 years of his release he'd have to pay me $5000 a year for every year I...

Spousal support [ 1 Answers ]

I have been married 8 years to a spouse who had etoh and psych issues that I was unaware of. She was short of PhD and I RN. I am working and she isn't now and just taking full advantage of my working . Her attorney is bleeding me dry It appears that the court doesn't want to hear the why's...

Support spousal [ 8 Answers ]

We were married 1 week short of 2 years when she moved out what is the time frame for support is it 50% of the length of marriage and is there a free site to access disomaster to figure support

Spousal Support [ 10 Answers ]

In my final divorce decree. I am responsible to pay spousal support to my ex-wife for two years. I live in Virginia State. Now, during the two years my ex-wife got married and never informed the courts of the legal change in her maritiall status! My question is whether or not the spousal support...

View more questions Search