Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keelie1016 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 07:40 AM
    Does a stepfather have a financial obligation to children
    Hi, My question is I live in Florida and have 2 children from a man I wasn't married to however, I'm married now and would like to know if my husband has a financial obligation to help support them? I have a court order on child support in the state we originally came from but he ( biological dad) hasn't kepted a steady job. My husband states If I have no rights toward them I have no obligation to support them either.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 08:28 AM
    I don't understand your question. You state "my husband states if I have no right towards them I have no obligation to support them either". Did you get your words mixed up here? Do you mean your present husband has no rights towards them then he doesn't have to support them either?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2013, 08:53 AM
    It depends on local laws. Usually a stepfather does not have a financial obligation to step-children if the marriage ends. However, there are situations where they might be held responsible.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I don't understand your question. You state "my husband states if I have no right towards them I have no obligation to support them either". Did you get your words mixed up here? Do you mean your present husband has no rights towards them then he doesn't have to support them either?
    I am guessing that what OP meant is this:

"my husband states 'if I have no right towards them I have no obligation to support them either' ".

She was quoting her husband. :)

And, as ScottGem wrote, under normal circumstances, the husband would be correct. In Florida and most other parts of the U.S. anyway.

Feb 22, 2013, 12:19 PM
    The children stepfather says he has no right to them because they have a real dad so why should I support them. But I believe if he married me should he help or not?

Feb 22, 2013, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    It depends on local laws. Usually a stepfather does not have a financial obligation to step-children if the marriage ends. However, there are situations where they might be held responsible.
    We (me and stepfather )are still married but the REAL DAD does nothing for them
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keelie1016 View Post
    we (me and stepfather )are still married but the REAL DAD does nothing for them
    Are you currently working?

Feb 22, 2013, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Are you currently working?
    Yes we both do (me and stepdad )
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 04:40 PM
    Generally a step parent DOES NOT have a direct financial responsibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stepfather.. [ 1 Answers ]

Here is my situation I have to children from 2 different men my 4 year old daughter has not seen her in 3 years and does not pay child support my husband (not father to either of them) would like to adopt her. I asked her bio father he said no what do I do? The second case my son who is 3 there has...

Rights of children financial support from a father [ 1 Answers ]

Good day and I do hope you can advice me in this big problem. My daughter had a live-in partner for two years time, just last January, 2012 he left her with two babies, a 1yr boy and 1 month girl. He went home to his parents with another woman. I know until now he has no work. Can my daughter ask...

My stepfather never adopted me. Is he still considered my stepfather? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm guessing that because he married my biological mother that he's still considered my Stepfather... but I'm filling out some paperwork and I wasn't sure if, legally, he's listed as my Stepfather?

View more questions Search