Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

Feb 19, 2013, 03:57 AM
    Can I become my own ISP?
    Can I become my own ISP without going through Aol, etc? I don't need the content the others provide.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 19, 2013, 04:05 AM
    DO you understand what an ISP actually does?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2013, 06:48 AM
    Clearly you don't know what an ISP is. In simple terms, an ISP has a more direct connection to the Internet and a contract with the agency that controls Access to the Internet to assign IP addresses to subscribers. Once assigned an IP, you are connected through the ISPs system to the Net.

You do not have to use AOL's dialup network to connect (do they still have a dial up network?). You can use any of several dialup networks. If you have a broadband (cable or DSL) connection, that is your ISP and do not have go through AOL at all.

But no you can't become your own ISP, but you have a great deal of control over how you connect to the Net.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2013, 06:52 AM
    Wait a minute.. AOL is still alive? That has got to be the worst internet provider in your country. Switching to another respected provider would likely make your internet experience less frustrating.

Feb 19, 2013, 06:57 AM
    AOL is still alive and have recently posted a profit. In the days of dialup, AOL provided a better and safer online experience to many people new to the Internet.

AOL's problem was that it couldn't weather the switch from dialup services to broadband. Since few people need to use AOL's network of modems to access the net these days, they don't need to go through AOL's portal.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2013, 07:16 AM
    Their portal and custom software was good for the internet noobs when the web was in its nascent days but it's horrible way to use the internet now. I've heard horror stories about their billing and customer service.

Feb 19, 2013, 07:19 AM
    Yes, but anyone can use their public portal fro free and can maintain their e-mail address for free. Just go to the Pricing Plans section of AOL.com

Feb 19, 2013, 02:09 PM
    I just wonder if I can access the internet without my cable co, or any other company that I have to pay for, that's all.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 19, 2013, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky1549 View Post
    I just wonder if I can access the internet without my cable co, or any other company that I have to pay for, that's all.
    No as you need to pay for access somewhere along the line.
    You do not have to use AOL though, there are a number of available retail ISP's available.

Feb 19, 2013, 02:24 PM
    OK , thanks all for the answers.

Feb 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky1549 View Post
    Think of the Internet as a toll road. You can get on the road at various points and you pay the toll to the operator of that toll booth. So you can get on at any tool booth, but you still have to pay the toll.

A caveat to the above, is that you can restrict your access to free WiFi hotspots, of which there are many. But you would have to travel to that hotspot and say within range of that hotspot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is ISP? [ 1 Answers ]

Have more to say? Add details here. You can also upload images, video, add hyperlinks to enrich your question.

Do I have to contact my isp? [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a laptop and it came with outlook express 6 already on it. I have never used outlook express before but would like to if possible. How do I get the pop3 server and SMTP server? I have no idea how to get these to set it up, do I contact my isp?

ISP Wireless Tower Lease, they went bankrupt, new ISP trying to push me around [ 3 Answers ]

I allowed an Wireless ISP provider to erect an 100ft tower on my land for the use of Internet Distribution. The Lease was to be for 5 yrs with a 5 yr option. My end was to receive 75.00 a month and an up to a 1.5mb connection. The ISP paid maybe a total of 10 payments to me then later filed...

ISP sales [ 6 Answers ]

I am entering into ISP sales with some sales experience, but in other areas, does anyone have any good websites or books that they know about on this subject? It would be appreciated! :)

Best isp? [ 4 Answers ]

What's the best ISP? I currently have DSL service through Earthlink, but I'm wondering if cheaper ISPs provide comparible DSL service.

View more questions Search