Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noel_06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Back child support
    :confused:

I don't know how to go about suing my mother for past child support. I know u may think it is a bad idea for me as her child to do that to her, I am 19 years old and am a freshmen in college. I could've used the support money to help put me through instead, I work and go to school full time to go to college. I can understand also that by me being 19 you may think that I am too young to sue anyone, but I am not. I am more mature than any other adult there is. If anyone has any information they would like to give to me please do... I thank you for your time
    jenisme1995 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 05:43 AM
    If you would like to receive support from your mom contact your local child support agency and ask them what ou can do in regard to getting support.
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 19, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Why would you do it now? If you ever hope to have a relationship or even to mend bridges with her that is going to destroy almost any chance of it.
    I have said this before people suing family and others over a few pieces of paper (money) is ridiculous especially when it comes down to family.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2007, 06:00 AM
    What makes you think you are owed anything? While in HS you were supported by your parent with room & board, clothing etc. Generally, once you are 18, support stops. Its possible that support was to continue to help pay for college. If you know support payments continued and none of it went to pay college, you may have an issue. But in that case I would get your father to raise the issue.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 19, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Was your mother ordered to pay child support when you were younger? I am pretty sure child support is ordered for the parent with custody, not the child, so not sure you would be able to get anything yourself.
    millec Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Mar 19, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Who took care of you up until now? If it was your mother why would you now want her to pay you child support? By law you are no longer a child. My brother pays child support for his son that is now in high school. He was told that IF his son goes to college he will continue to pay child support for as long as he is in school. That was in the original order. If your mother has never been ordered to pay you child support as a child I don't see where you can go back as an adult and request it. But I might be wrong. Contact your local child support recovery just to make sure. I know from experience that it's difficult to collect child support on a baby, I'm trying right now, so I can only imagine how difficult it will be to collect on a adult, someone who is capable of working and making their own money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back child support [ 2 Answers ]

I owe 2 1/2 years back child support had not work file for ssdi,just won case expecting lump sum can childsupport take lump sum if what % i.e. 1-100%

Lien - back child support [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My daughters father has a fairly large sum in back child support and is most likely going to lose his house to foreclosure. He had some cement work done, claims he paid for it, but the guy who did the work is suing him and has put a lien on the house. Would it be in my best interest to also...

Back-Payed Child Support [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am 20 years old (male), and I am NOT attending college at this time. My interest is in collecting back-payed child support from my biological father who, instead of staying around for my life, decided to leave the state and flee when he found out that my mother was pregnant with me. ...

Back Child Support /taxes [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: hello i'm a mother of 4 children i have 3 from my 1st marriage all my childern r grown up my problem lies in child support i had to receive food stamps and helth benefits through ill state aid. They have received all there money back from my ex he still owes me 12,000.00 dollars he has...

View more questions Search